Chinese-Forums

Is there a rush service available for getting a residence permit?

Mr123

• New Members

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a pickle atm, there's an issue with my visa application so things are getting delayed. I will be moving to Guangzhou on a z work visa soon (meant to be starting new job 1 Sept, although that looks unlikely now).

The delay isn't a massive issue except that after I arrive I need to get my residence permit, during which I will be without my passport for some time. I already have a trip abroad booked for the national holiday (starting 1 Oct) which I will obviously need my passport for.

I'm wondering if there is any kind of rush service or anyway to make sure the process of getting a residence permit after I arrive in China as quick as possible? Any tips greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Mr123 said:

I'm wondering if there is any kind of rush service or anyway to make sure the process of getting a residence permit after I arrive in China as quick as possible?

Not without connections 关系。Maybe your employer can help expedite the process with the local authorities. I would suggest asking them. 

An alternative would be to arrive on a tourist visa and convert it to a residence permit after arriving.  Assuming your Z-visa application didn't go in yet.

This is fairly common practice from what I can gather, and is a lot quicker and easier once you're actually in China.  (It's also what I ended up doing for very similar reasons, although I ended up cancelling my overseas trip in the end.) 

If you'll be going to a big PSB in Guangzhou then you could maybe get your RP sorted (or maybe a stop-gap one for 3 months) within 7-10 days, although things will probably slow down as you get close to a major public holiday.

But this isn't really your problem to solve — what are your future HR department doing about it?