Chinese-Forums

Studying a bit under ones level

suMMit

Any harm in going a bit lower than your level?

I started working with a tutor. We began on book 2 of a series, its a bit tough, but not bad. However, I looked through book 1 and noticed quite a few grammar points/patterns that I haven't studied or things that I don't feel I can say easily/fluently.

I figure going lower can help me focus on fluency/ease of speaking, rather than loads of new vocabulary and longer, more difficult patterns. It also seems like a good review of basics. So im thinking of starting halfway through the easier book. But perhaps studying a bit lower could have a negative effect I haven't thought about? People normally suggest working on things just 'above' ones level. Any thoughts?

• Good question! 1

Going back and filling in areas you skipped is always a good idea.  Fluency in Chinese is measured by total hours spent studying.  As long as you're learning something, it doesn't really matter what it is.  Chinese is so vast you can't go wrong.  Unless it's that stupid esoteric vocabulary the higher levels of HSK teach you.  

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, suMMit said:

But perhaps studying a bit lower could have a negative effect I haven't thought about?

Probably the opposite in my opinion.

1 hour ago, suMMit said:

People normally suggest working on things just 'above' ones level. Any thoughts?

This is for new stuff, based on the assumption that you already know the stuff below your level.  If you don't know the stuff 'below' you, sort that out first, because technically, if you don't know it, it's above your current level, regardless of where it comes in some book.

• Helpful 1

Also agree going back might be worth it in the long run! 

When I studied at Tsinghua it was fairly common for students to request to skip a level after a semester. For example you’d finish beginner 1 level in semester 1 then, instead of doing beginner 2, you’d skip to pre-intermediate. Not sure where this came from or why but there was a lot of ego from some of my lower level classmates. I decided not to skip (so just went from beg2 to pre-int) and it was the right call for me. I didn’t feel like I was drowning in new vocab all the time and could focus more on grammar and usage. We also reviewed some of what I’d done and extended it just a bit. Think my Chinese improved more than many of my classmates that skipped. They knew more characters but they hadn’t developed their Chinese beyond that as much as I had (I feel).  

• Helpful 1

In my opinion, it's better to do both at the same time. I have a rather modest goal presently, to pass HSK4 in not distant future. For that purpose I'm working with the HSK4 Standard Course, based on 50 dialogues that include the whole word list. But I've noticed an interesting thing: if I'm reading a more complicated fiction book than these dialogues simultaneously, working with the dialogues becomes much easier. As to the book, I'm not going to be able to understand every expression in it, but I try to, despite the fact it's impossible at my current level and without someone to explain me difficutl places. But when I come back to the Standard Course, I go forward with less effort.

• Helpful 1

Francly speaking, I even come back to something like HSK2 or HSK3, the HSK4 Standard Course is a medium task for me between these reviews and the fiction book. Now I'm going to add an educational book (a textbook on geography) to the set, with things like the beginning below. I suppose, it enhances my ability to grasp other material more relevant to the HSK exam.

中国自然地理

课文

(位置)中国位于全球最大陆地(欧亚大陆)东部,全球最大海洋(太平洋)的西岸。

Edited by Pall
additional information
  • Helpful 1