Chinese-Forums

Chinese Live Radio

Larry Language Lover

I found this link with live streaming radio from Beijing!

https://www.liveonlineradio.net/chinese/beijing-news-radio.htm

I love this, I think it sounds so beautiful.  I'm just a beginner but I think that they speak clearly and somewhat slower.

Either that or my listening skills are slowly improving.....

• Like 2

I'm just a beginner but I think that they speak clearly and somewhat slower.

The speed depends on who is talking. Some guests talk a whole lot faster than others. The host has a comfortable speaking pace and clear diction. 

What would make this top notch listening practice would be the availability of transcripts and/or the ability to replay segments several times to catch ideas or phrases or words that you didn't understand first time through. 

If transcripts were provided, you could listen then read the transcript. Listen again. Understand what you missed the first time. 

Having only the spoken material available and getting only one shot at it... well I don't share your enthusiasm for that approach. 

Thanks for that, @Larry Language Lover!

There is also an incredible website at https://radio.garden/  which allows you to browse all around the globe... there aren't many stations in mainland China, but a few in Taiwan and Hong Kong. 

I'm currently thinking of buying a cheap radio so I can have one of the Beijing stations on in the background at home all the time for passive listening... does anyone know if China has digital broadcasting (like DAB in the UK), or should I just buy a ¥50 FM portable radio and make do with that?

I'm not sure I believe that passive exposure is actually helpful except during a short time at the very beginning of the learning process. Perhaps it sort of gets one used to the "general sound" of the language so that one could distinguish between Mandarin Chinese and Swahili or Icelandic without actually understanding the content. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, abcdefg said:

I'm not sure I believe that passive exposure is actually 

I never had any success like that. Always seems like a good idea in theory but in reality it just becomes background white noise for me. I need to sit and focus.