Chinese-Forums

DictionaryForMIDs

snarfer

I just installed this Chinese English dictionary on my mobile, an SE k750. Has some serious shortcomings but it is free. And there doesn't seem to be anything else capable of running on my phone. You can find it here.

Has anyone else tried it? Any ideas on getting it to work better?

I don't understand the previous post.

Anyway, by shortcomings I refer to (1) the bug that, on my phone, causes incorrect display of some third tone vowels (an issue that will be fixed in future releases, I'm told) and (2) the choice, or lack thereof, in dictionaries. I had initially thought that the lack of a radical index was also a problem, but discovered that my phone, through the character input by stroke method, actually has a sort of radical index built in.

I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to install the software with a different dictionary, such as the adsotrans dictionary or maybe an HSK word list.

Well, I guess your point (1) 'incorrect display of some vowels' is a problem with your phone and not a bug in the dictionary, because these characters are correctly displayed in other environments (still, to solve your problem it is planned to set up the CEDICT dictionary with tone numbers)

On your point (2): you can set up any dictionary with DictionaryForMIDs, see the project homepage for documentation.

In the end, the dictionary's "serious shortcomings" that you state seem to be only a problem with the character display of your phone, maybe a missing font ?

I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to install the software with a different dictionary, such as the adsotrans dictionary or maybe an HSK word list
I just had a first look on the adsotrans dictionary - thank you for that tip !

I'd say that it sould be very easy to set up the adsotrans dictionary with DictionaryForMIDs. Are there any volunteers who will set up the adsotrans dictionary for DictionaryForMIDs ?

The documentation for setting up dictionaries with DictionaryForMIDs is found at http://dictionarymid.sourceforge.net, section "Setting up a new dicionary".

If there is any problem with setting up adsotrans, just send me an email and I will try to help.

• 1 year later...