Chinese-Forums

The ATM ate my card

abcdefg

Couldn't you have just opened the banking app on your phone to get the info they wanted?

Indeed, my bank lets me withdraw from an ATM using just the app if I don't have the card on me. This could be useful if you're desperate for cash and your card gets swallowed when the bank is closed.

(As an aside, there's a quiet sense of personal achievement when you successfully deal with a problem like this in Chinese, isn't there. Well worth the time lost!)

18 hours ago, 889 said:

(As an aside, there's a quiet sense of personal achievement when you successfully deal with a problem like this in Chinese, isn't there. Well worth the time lost!)

Yes, there is!

Couldn't you have just opened the banking app on your phone to get the info they wanted?

Didn't think of that. Sounds like a sensible move. 

Ahahaha good story, same thing happened to me in Croatia years ago! to be fair, 45 minutes to solve it don't seem too different from what I'd expect in any other country. It actually sounds not bad at all!

For sure it helped a lot that you could explain yourself in mandarin! :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, matteo said:

to be fair, 45 minutes to solve it don't seem too different from what I'd expect in any other country. It actually sounds not bad at all!

Agree! Not bad at all. 

I've always heard that using an ATM in the lobby of a bank is safer than using one which is just located in a convenience store or shopping mall if something goes wrong. This little event served as a good reminder to me to think about that.  

• Like 1

Even in banks I've had it happen where for security reasons they don't have a key to open the ATM on the premises: you have to wait until the cash truck arrives to service the machine. I've also had places where they just won't give back the card as a matter of policy.

As said, carry a few cards to guard against this risk.

6 hours ago, 889 said:

I've also had places where they just won't give back the card as a matter of policy.

Right, I've heard that too. I thought BOC might have wanted to just shred the old card and issue me a new one. Would have been time consuming and inconvenient.