Chinese-Forums

Need help regarding standard mandarin

ausflug

I mean he's speaking putonghua, but no its not standard. This is almost certainly a bad way to 'immerse' yourself if you have only just started learning, as the speaker elides many sounds and even whole characters that appear in the subtitles. While this is common in everyday speech, it will serve as a frustrating experience for a beginner learner.

I'd call it a standard "folksy Chinese" voice, often used for story telling on the radio. There are other standard radio voices, like the "warm and cheerful Chinese" voice used by women announcers on call-in programs.

If your level is indeed beginner, then I assume you'll have a lot of trouble understanding this level of Chinese.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, WeiLe said:

I guess it's hard to find a person in China to speak the Standard Mandarin perfectly

Newscasters on national TV use Standard Mandarin. They are tested on it prior to being hired. Tune in to some of the daily news broadcasts on CCTV (Chinese TV -- 中央电视台). You can find their channels on the internet, several of them. (I don't know what's on You-tube; I seldom watch it.) 

When I was starting out I would watch the CCTV evening news and then later listen to the news in English to fill in the things I didn't understand. Still do that sometimes today.