Chinese-Forums

ChinesePod still worth it?

Bennibaba

• New Members

Dear all,

I used ChinesePod about 3 years ago and was quite happy. But it changed a lot since then (new teachers, at least 2 years ago there was quite a shortage of new material), do you think it is still worth paying for? I ask especially in regards to the big discount today.

It isn't for me, but for a relatively new learner, who wants to use it in addition to a textbook.

Thanks for your advice/input.

• 1 month later...

I don't have an answer for you, but I also used Chinesepod around the same time-frame, and I have the same question.  I might give it a try for a short while either way.

As a side note: there is a Chinese internet slang word for bumping (i.e.: reviving) a forum post that I wanted to use here, but I forgot the term.  Does anyone know what it could be?

-----------------------

我没有回答。  我在3年前使用过Chinesepod。我也有您的问题。 我想试一下。

• 3 months later...

I think Chinesepod is amazing. Almost any topic that I want to get some vocab/grammar and learn something about is found amongst the thousands of episodes. Im currently doing intermediate and elementary episodes. I find the Intermediate lessons with John to be the sweetspot, absolute genius. I get as much from the Chinese co-host explaining things in the target language as I do from the dialogs themselves. The Fiona episodes are pretty good too. So far I'm not a huge fan of the new episodes, they seem not to be as well designed and use too much English for my taste. But to be fair Ive only been through a few of the newer ones - there are so many with John that I haven't found the need.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 3:41 AM, Tan said:

there is a Chinese internet slang word for bumping (i.e.: reviving) a forum post that I wanted to use here, but I forgot the term. 

This one?

顶    dǐng    

apex / crown of the head / top / roof / most / to carry on the head / to push to the top / to go against / to replace / to substitute / to be subjected to (an aerial bombing, hailstorm etc) / (slang) to "bump" a forum thread to raise its profile / classifier for headwear, hats, veils etc