Chinese-Forums

Beijing Pollution

gato

Yes the pollution here is bad. And I haven't noticed any improvement in the nearly 3 years that I've been here.

Absolutely correct thinking in China! When you tell the buyer it will cost more now, and less in the long run, they won't take it. Such long term thinking does not exist in China.

This is a bad generalization. I don't think it's all due to lack of long-term thinking, so much as not trusting the source of the claims (in energy savings). You could argue that they don't see or believe in the financial gains, in which case I'll give you that.

I think in China energy efficiency is seen as something for the poor. Now they have money and they can waste it as if there is no tomorrow.

What lead you to make this conclusion? This may be true for the ultra-rich, but I know many middle-class families who pay close attention to conserving electricity, even going to such lengths as unplugging electronics after they've been turned off and unscrewing unneeded lightbulbs. But in this case, it is all about (saving) money.

I do agree that the central heating in some of the new developments are very wasteful.

More on Olympic air. The Washington Post may be blocked because of news in Teebet.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/17/AR2008031700973.html?hpid=moreheadlines

IOC: Beijing Air Poses 'Possible Risk'

By Amy Shipley

Washington Staff Writer

Monday, March 17, 2008; 11:22 AM

The International Olympic Committee acknowledged for the first time today that air pollution could be harmful for athletes at this summer's Olympics in Beijing and said it will monitor air quality daily during the Games to see whether events should be moved or postponed.

In a statement, the committee predicted that most competitors would not be affected by poor air quality in the Chinese capital, one of the most polluted cities in the world. But in "a few sports" -- notably distance and other endurance events -- officials said there was "a possible risk."

• 3 months later...

Not really. Take a look at the pollution index given. They are in the 160s and 170 for Haidian and Chaoyang. These are very high numbers, comparable to the high numbers given in the opening post three years ago (below). The labels of “轻度” (light) and "轻微" (very light) are worthless.

Wow, Beijing's pollution index was at 182 yesterday, the highest among 84 Chinese cities. Shanghai's was 42, for comparison. No wonder I couldn't breathe. Cough. Cough. I'm going to buy a gas mask.

http://www.zhb.gov.cn/english/air-list.php3?offset=0

Air Quality Daily Report for 84 Major Cities In China

Date: 2005-09-11

City Name Date Pollution Index Prominent Pollutant Grade

Beijing 2005-09-11 182 PM10 3B

Tianjin 2005-09-11 98 PM10 2

Shijiazhuang 2005-09-11 113 PM10 3A

Qinhuangdao 2005-09-11 72 PM10 2

Taiyuan 2005-09-11 104 PM10 3A

Datong 2005-09-11 114 PM10 3A

Yangquan 2005-09-11 112 SO2 3A

Changzhi 2005-09-11 57 PM10 2

Hohhot 2005-09-11 64 PM10 2

Chifeng 2005-09-11 89 PM10 2

Shenyang 2005-09-11 100 PM10 2

Dalian 2005-09-11 32 -- 1

Anshan 2005-09-11 99 PM10 2

Fushun 2005-09-11 114 PM10 3A

Changchun 2005-09-11 88 PM10 2

Harbin 2005-09-11 69 PM10 2

Qiqiha'er 2005-09-11 68 PM10 2

Mudanjiang 2005-09-11 83 PM10 2

Shanghai 2005-09-11 43 -- 1

Nanjing 2005-09-11 98 PM10 2

Suzhou 2005-09-11 63 PM10 2

Nantong 2005-09-11 62 PM10 2

Lianyun'gang 2005-09-11 60 PM10 2

Yangzhou 2005-09-11 73 PM10 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wonder what the final decision will be regarding the odd and even license plate ban. Seems tempting to keep it. http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/09/beijing-cities-fight-gridlock-pollution.php

Thanks to an unprecedented set of restrictions on cars and factories for the Olympic and this month's Paralympic Games, the skies over Beijing have been beautiful beyond description. A rare cameo by a naked sun in recent days even earned a headline on the state-run Xinhua website. But the weather isn't even the most popular topic of conversation. The bigger issue for many, and the question that's been biting at everyone for years: how will Beijing stay beautiful after the Olympic period is over?

A senior official from Beijing's environment bureau said recently that the city intends to keep some of its pollution restrictions in place. Apparently, factories around the city shuttered for the Games will be made to improve their pollution control measures before reopening. But officials have yet to make a final decision about the odd-even car ban, which prohibits cars based on their last license plate digit. Will Beijing really abolish it for the clogged roads and smoggy skies of yore?

In an inspiring and increasingly familiar sign of progress, officials have said they want to hear the opinions of Beijing's residents before moving forward. And residents are taking to internet forums to speak their minds. The debate can be divided into two fairly predictable sides--the have-cars and the have-nots--a divide that is as good as any at describing the social, economic and environmental tensions of Chinese urban life.

And aside from leaving many car driving Beijingers thinking more carefully about the impact of their driving habits, it's also sparked a crucial and perhaps pathbreaking public debate about the environment, the government's role and the people's responsibility.

"I support a long-term car restriction. We have made some mistakes in the past. Now we should correct them and return blue skies to our children," wrote a netizen named He Luzhu on a forum at ynet.com, the portal site of Beijing Youth Daily. Agreeing with him, on one poll, were nearly 60 percentof the population.

By keeping the restrictions, says Greenpeace China's Sze Pang Cheung, "Beijing can also set examples for other mega-cities in China. The Olympics may have ended, but whether the Games will leave a positive environmental legacy to Beijing and to China would very much be decided by the decision of the Beijing government."

It would be hard to let go of this gorgeous weather. And because of the pollution that typically settles in over China's capital, a great day in Beijing is, I'd argue, more intoxicating than anywhere else. What the Communist Party giveth, it also taketh away. But will it really do that?

Perhaps banning high polluting older cars might cut pollution more than an odd-even license ban. Looks like the odd-even license ban is enjoying support from many residents: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/28/content_9728216.htm

The author lives in Beijing and notes that there is no carpool lane.

Edited by bhchao

I'm not sure that it's had that much of an effect. Or if it has, that people are exaggerating it. Beijing's weather during the Olympics wasn't all that great. There were some clear days, but there were some pretty horrible ones too. Also, September is usually when Beijing sees its best weather. Although we've had great skies the last couple of days, I wouldn't put it as too out of the ordinary just yet, and remember similar periods in previous Septembers.