Chinese-Forums

One year intensive Chinese Learning - which scholarship do you recommend?

laoban33

Hey, 

Ok so here is my plan. In one of two years (after my Master's degree), I'd like to take a one year intensive Chinese language program to learn Chinese (I'm HSK3 currently). I researched a lot but don't seem to find which scholarship could be the best to do so. 

From what I saw, the CIS has a scholarship for a one year intensive program, however there is only around 4 hours of learning per day. This doesn't seem intensive at all for me. I know that outside class learning is important but still. 

It seems that the CGC scholarship is way better as you literally have classes from 8.30 to 16.30, which, I think, is what I need to learn as best as possible. However, I heard that this is the case for the one-year preparation that you need to do before a Bachelor's or Master's program if you don't speak Chinese.

My questions are:

-Does the CGC Scholarship have a one year intensive chinese program only (without going further with a Bachelors or Masters)? It seems there is, but I don't find much info online. Anyone has done it or could give me some info? 

-If this CGC one year intensive chinese exists, would you recommend this one or the CIS one year program scholarship? 

-If this CGC one year intensive chinese exists, is it possible to apply for both the CGC and CIS scholarship and then choose if you are accepted to both?

Thanks for ur reply ;)

15 hours ago, laoban33 said:

From what I saw, the CIS has a scholarship for a one year intensive program, however there is only around 4 hours of learning per day. This doesn't seem intensive at all for me. I know that outside class learning is important but still. 

Time spent wisely outside of class is vital to developing well-rounded language skills. Don't shortchange yourself by committing to too many hours of class time every day/every week. This is especially true since the classes themselves, wherever you go, are often not well taught and don't provide a chance to practice actual "production" skills (such as speaking.)

Immerse yourself in after-class activities with locals. Make friends via sports, hobbies, other shared interests. Consider hiring a tutor or arranging language exchange. Do a bang-up job with all homework assignments. 

Just going to class won't get you as far as you think, not as far as you hope, even if you have classes 16 hours a day. 

It seems that the CGC scholarship is way better as you literally have classes from 8.30 to 16.30, which, I think, is what I need to learn as best as possible.

I would never agree to such a schedule. It would be counterproductive. Avoid a plan of that type at all costs. You will wind up brain-dead and hating the Chinese language at the end of your year. 

Yes, I guess you are right.

Which cities would be the best in your opinion to learn Chinese and best immerse yourself in the culture? I did my Bachelor's exchange (4 months) in China (Peking University), and it got me started to learn Chinese, however, there were too many internationals or Chinese people speaking good English... So my mistake is that I pretty much only communicated in English... So I actually would like to study in a city where there isn't many internationals, and possibly where Mandarin is well spoken.

On 12/17/2019 at 9:15 AM, laoban33 said:

From what I saw, the CIS has a scholarship for a one year intensive program, however there is only around 4 hours of learning per day.

On the assumption that good use is made of classroom time (which is a big assumption), 4 hours is a lot. Factor in keeping up with classwork, revising, practicing what you've learned, and some relaxation, and you've got a full day. 

The problem is that good Mandarin and good schools attract foreigners. Don't rule out places with lots of foreigners, just make sure you avoid hanging around speaking English with them. Be prepared to be that guy that turns up for class, but seems to disappear immediately after, only to be seen later at a table full of Chinese students in the canteen. 

• Like 4

Yeah if you find yourself speaking too much English in China that's on you, you need to push yourself to make friends with locals. There are plenty who can't speak English. Hell make friends with the delivery guy, tell him you will teach him English