Chinese-Forums

Question About Homestays

Lauren88

Hello,

I'm realyl interested in this thread too because I am looking to go to Beijing and don't want to end up in a dorm full of English speaking people.

But I thought I'd just add to the post above. We had a whole bunch of students living with us when we were kids. We had two american girls for a year each and a French girl for a year. And we were also a host family for a guy from Zimbabwe when he was on holiday from school.

There was no language motive for our family - my parents just thought it would be interesting to have someone else around. We as kids got a lot out of it. We are no longer in contact with one of the Americans and the Zimbabwean guy. But we have kep in contact with the French girl and the other American girl and her family have become great friends.

I might ask my parents more about it know that I'm older - but basically I just thought I'd add to the post above that this sort of stuff does happen!

Nicky

• 2 weeks later...

Right, don't know if any of you are interested in this but I DID ask my parents and they said that they didn't get paid any cash for hosting. They said they hosted students for up to a year because it was a great experience for the students, it broadened our horizons as kids, and was interesting for them too. They travelled a lot before they settled down and they knew what a homestay could offer.

Twenty years on, the brother (+ his wife) of one of the American students have just been to stay while they were in the UK.

I know it all sounds very hovis, but these things do happen!

That said, my mum said (and mums are always right) that it would be crucial to find out what procedures are in place if there are any problems with the host family. Apparently we took the French girl because she and her host family didn't get on.

Sorry if this has no relevance to any of you - I do like to talk!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am staying in a homestay now and I have to say it is great!! However I don't think it is cheap at all. I did it through International Students Centre, Beijing which is great. Not sure exactly how much the homestay is though as the price I paid included my tuition.

You have to be very aware of how different the Chinese live, more so than other accomodation obviously but my family is extremely friendly and the little boy is also very keen to teach me. I think getting a family with a child is definately a good idea.

I couldnt speak any chinese at all when I arrived so I am studying very hard at the moment so the restrictions on my life style haven't been an issue yet. The only thing however I was told by international student centre is dont wake up the family if i come home late and let them know if I want to miss a meal. Seems pretty reasonable I think.

Anyways, tis my tuppence worth!!