Chinese-Forums

Your opinion on a Chinese name?

auroraborealis

• New Members

Hi!

I've been studying Chinese for quite some time but I still don't have a Chinese name. I read the great sources mentioned on this forum and I think I'd like to get a Chinese name that is similar to real Chinese names but also has at least some phonetic resemblance to my real name.

I once got a Chinese name from a teacher in China (it was 马雅文 if I remember correctly) but my Chinese teacher back home told me she thinks it's a weird name and sounds like the ancient Mayan culture which has nothing to do with me :D I'm from the Northern Europe.

So by some googling I came up with this by myself: 马明霞 

Any opinions on the name? Is there something I should know about this name?

Thanks a lot in advance!

So... does your actual name sound a bit like 马明霞 ?  You know how usually the first character in a Chinese name is the person's surname, right? 明霞 is the name of the Olympics gold medalist female diver; her full name is 伏明霞. If you don't mind the association with a sports figure, then it seems like not a bad choice. What @calibre2001 said is something to take note of, since it's easy to taper off the tones making the first tone for xia more easy to roll off the tongue, but as long as you are mindful of xia in the 2nd tone, then 马明霞 seems to have nice meanings. (As an aside, plenty of famous ppl w/the surname 马: Yoyo Ma,  the cellist; Mary Ma, a businesswoman who was key in the acquisition of IBM's PC division when she was chief financial officer of Lenovo; Jack Ma, cofounder of Alibaba Group, just to name a few.)

On 1/9/2020 at 1:38 AM, auroraborealis said:

but also has at least some phonetic resemblance to my real name

Cus you didn't tell us your real name, I could only guess "雅文" has met your requirements in this point. So, I reckon you could use a cool two-character surname. Considering that you are a woman, IMO, I think 雅雯 is better than 雅文. I will give some example: 司徒雅雯、南宫雅雯、纳兰雅雯、上官雅雯