Chinese-Forums

Is it appropriate to give a new year's gift to a child I tutor?

mafmaf

I have been tutoring a child in my home country for a few months, mostly to help her with the new language but also other subjects. 

Her family is very nice and has given me small gifts twice before, once when I started tutoring and another a bit before Christmas, so I thought it'd be a nice time to give something back. 

I feel the red money packet is a bit weird, so I was thinking some school supplies (some colorful markers, maybe) in a red box.

From what I read, the customs also have to do with age, so I should say I am still a student (23), and this is my only tutoring "job" outside that.

Would this be an appropriate gift? Or is it weird? 

Thank you for your help! I looked into it a bit online but all the information I could find on what would be appropriate was for friends, family or employees. 

• Good question! 1

I wouldn't worry too much about the Chinese angle or red box - I'm sure a small gift would be appreciated, just what you might give to any child of that age. Or I guess you could make it a gift card for a local bookstore in a red envelope. 

Yeah no issues at all, I and many others give gifts every year. I have a bag of Christmas puddings, mince pies,  scottish whiskey for the guys, all sorts of Belgian chocolate in my case at the moment. On my way to celebrate new year. These things go down well as are deemed " foreign" 

For kid I get colouring books etc .

The supermarkets are packed with all sorts of gifts things at the moment. In fact China is much more open towards gifts than the west in my view. You wouldn't really give someone a box of nuts, apples , baby powder etc there but here its  all fine. 

One small point:  If someone gives a gift in China, the person receiving often feels compelled to give the person a better gift the next time.  So there can be a bit of an arms race in gifts with each person trying to do better than each other.  So your idea of simple gifts make sense.  

And as noted Roddy & Davy, almost anything you give will be warmly received.      

I know how you feel about the red envelope  - giving money seems a bit crass - but that is more of a Western perspective.  Money is seen differently in China.  Discussions of salaries & the cost of one's car/home are often much more open in China than in the US.