Chinese-Forums

Graded Watching - TV series ranked by difficulty

wibr

• 8 months later...

One Wilhelm Brasch has made Pleco flashcard decks for 119 different Chinese-language films and series, mostly on Netflix. It can all be found here. I haven't tried any of it out myself (I don't use Pleco for flashcarding), but this is potentially enormously useful.

• Like 2

Here is the original thread. Question for those who don't use Pleco, what exactly would you need instead? Would it be sufficient to add pinyin and definitions in the text file? There is also an Anki plugin to add those, but I haven't tried it. If I do this myself I would have to decide which pronunciations and definitions to include for those characters which have several of them.

Right, thanks for pointing that out, I completely missed that thread when you made it. I've merged the two. Even more thanks for creating this thing!

I make my own flashcards, Chinese to Dutch, in Anki. In my view it's better to learn to/from one's mother tongue if possible. That is not something you can make, realistically, and that's fine.

24 minutes ago, wibr said:

If I do this myself I would have to decide which pronunciations and definitions to include for those characters which have several of them.

A character can have several pronunciations, but words usually only have one. The main exception is when it's a Taiwan/China difference. The most correct way to handle that would be to offer the Taiwan pronunciation in word lists for a Taiwanese film/series and the Chinese pronunciation for Chinese, but I'm not sure that's feasible. An easier way would be to either consistently pick one, or to always offer both with a (TW) or (CH) behind it.

On 2/22/2020 at 11:00 PM, Jan Finster said:

I think this show is fantastic for learning the following vocabulary: every day life, family relationship, food, some business language!

I am going to binge watch the last 4 episodes today and then I am done :) 

AllisWell-complete1-46.txt 440.06 kB · 12 downloads

Do you think you could make the original subtitle files available too? Looks like this has been taken down from YouTube and I'd love to add the subs to the transcription project since this is a great show for learning. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, markhavemann said:

Do you think you could make the original subtitle files available too?

I am not sure what you mean. Those should be subtitles. At least they are the softsubs you can export to Lingq. I do not have anything else.

4 hours ago, Jan Finster said:

I am not sure what you mean. Those should be subtitles. At least they are the softsubs you can export to Lingq. I do not have anything else.

Like the .srt or .vtt or .tss files that you get when you download with a tool like YouTube-DL. Maybe I missed something in the thread but it seemed like you must have downloaded these from YouTube or somewhere as subtitle and then compiled them into one big text file to easily analyse the vocab. I guess that must not be the case then.

The file would look something like this, with a separate file for each episode: 

Spoiler

00:01:57,789 --> 00:01:58,150
东家

00:01:59,400 --> 00:02:00,590
还有一个时辰就开业了

00:02:01,310 --> 00:02:02,640
门外已大排长龙

6 hours ago, markhavemann said:

Like the .srt or .vtt or .tss files that you get when you download with a tool like YouTube-DL. Maybe I missed something in the thread but it seemed like you must have downloaded these from YouTube or somewhere as subtitle and then compiled them into one big text file to easily analyse the vocab. I guess that must not be the case then.

The file would look something like this, with a separate file for each episode: 

I never had those. I use Lingq and you get a clean import of text without time stamps.

8 hours ago, Jan Finster said:

I never had those. I use Lingq and you get a clean import of text without time stamps.

You grabbed them off of LingQ? I guess that means there must be subs floating around somewhere. I'll do some searching. 

3 hours ago, markhavemann said:

You grabbed them off of LingQ? I guess that means there must be subs floating around somewhere. I'll do some searching

No. I imported them from Youtube one by one into my personal account on Lingq. They are not in the public domain on Lingq.

• 9 months later...
On 2/22/2020 at 4:54 PM, Jan Finster said:

Yes, when you watch there are only English soft subs, but using Donwsub.com or Lingq you get the Chinese subtitles too.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:34 PM, Jan Finster said:

All I can say is that the subtitles do not always follow the speech word by word. Sometimes they use a different way to express what is being said. I guess this is not a feature of TTS (?) They are the same subtitles that can be extracted by Lingq.com and I am quite sure Lingq.com does not extract auto-translates. I have not come across any non-sensical text in the subs of that show either. As much as I can assess the correctness of the grammar at my stage, it sounded OK.

I just tried downsub on 都挺好 episode 1, and it got me both English & Chinese subs.  But I don't know how that's possible without auto-translate, since the original youtube video seems to only have English subs.  As far as I can tell, the videos with subs in multiple languages are often labeled "[MULTI-SUB]," and you can verify it by selecting other CC languages in youtube using the gear icon.

It's interesting @Jan Finster that you say it matches the ones from Lingq.com.  I guess I'll have to find out when I watch out, how much it matches the actual audio.

• 4 months later...