Chinese-Forums

Need translation of this short dialogue, please

BaffoRasta

"So who exactly does it mean by 'your father's brat'?"

"Not your dad's brat, it's 'your old man's brat'"

"So who is 'your old man's brat'?"

"Your old man's brat is a nobody."

Bit of a tricky idiom ,谁都不是 in the final line is a reversal of the early question "who" but has the further meaning of calling someone a worthless nothing, cf. 不是人. Presume it's drawn from a dialogue where someone is called that as an insult. 崽子 which I've done as brat can also be whelp or even bastard.

• 4 weeks later...

Since in another post I've been told that the script I took my text from isn't fully accurate and I'm kind of unsure about this specific dialogue I'd be happy if you could check if the text I've posted here matches the actual audio in the scene, that I uploaded here .

Thanks!

It's a dialogue from a 2010's film 岁月神偷(Echoes Of The Rainbow)。I don't know how to translate it to let you understand the joke in the dialogue. This is the movie clip of Cantonese version.

The background is:  The eight-year-old is cursed by a man in the movie theater. Then his older brother talks it as a joke with his girlfriend. Because some people often curse the older brother as "One崽子" and the eight-year-old as "Two崽子" that is pronounced similar to "兔崽子" — a cuss word in Chinese and I often translate it as "Son of a bitch". When the man in the movie theater said "你老爹的崽子", it's just another way to curse the eight-year-old.

1814583739_.thumb.jpg.70e21d11928340e6eb9e523d2a1f62e3.jpg

• Helpful 1