Chinese-Forums

Need help with tea pot.

LRLSurplus

An unqualified guess, based on just the look of the clay and the craftsmanship: modern replica (i.e what you typically find at markets). Where did you obtain it (or is this something you are planning to buy?)

Lots of modern replicas are made from unsafe clay. I'd considering not using it for brewing until you know more about its origin.

I recommend you ask the people over at teaforum.org.

The seal reads 顧玉芳製, meaning 'made by Gu Yufang'. Gu Yufang appears to be a fairly well known maker of zisha clay teapots from the 80s-90s. The inscription on the outside reads 茶香怡人. As for its authenticity, thats a question fot someone that can assess the pot in person

I would expect a master Yixing potter to be more careful placing his mark. And I can't figure out what the issue is in the SE corner of the mark.

There should also be a tiny mark inside the lid.

The big difference is between pots built by hand and those molded. Read up on this and you should be able to tell which category your pot falls into by carefully examining how the spout is joined inside the teapot.

(A few minutes' Google search doesn't turn up any marks like yours. In particular, her marks seem to use simplified characters.)

I also agree it appears to be of questionable origin, simply by the way the lid doesn't fit onto the pot properly - perhaps the original lid got damaged and the owner switched the lid for a similar one that would do the job of brewing tea, but not caring about appearance

no offence intended of course, but I think judging on the below-average workmanship evident in your additional pictures, I would strongly suggest this is not the work of a master. Continue to enjoy your pot by all means!

Look at how poorly the handle is joined to the lid: everything should have been smoothed down at the join in a hand-built Yixing teapot, whether by a master or not. Also, collectible Yixing pots rarely come with strainers.

You can test the spout and the feel of the teapot in use by filling it up and then emptying it. A good teapot has a nice balance and pour.

"Teachat" is the forum for discussing Yixing ware. Bear in mind it's a place for collectors, and ebay dealers and the like won't get a warm welcome.

It almost looks like a student's attempt to copy this style of ceramics. 

So rough and ready, I am surprise anyone has the gall to sell it.

Sorry, but its just awful and offends my artistic side.