Chinese-Forums

Wang Xiaobo's 猫

roddy

Has anyone read this? It's very short, only about 5 pages, and I came across it in a section titled Early Works (早期作品) in a volume titled 黑铁时代, which is part of a 王小波作品系列 - I think there's four volumes in the series, all named after different 时代's.

I can't find this particular short story online - the link here that gato provides no longer works, and I've looked at a few other sites and searched, with no luck.

I really like the story, and am contemplating having a shot at translating it, but I want to check other people like it before i bother :mrgreen: . I think it'd be a tricky one to do, but I'm not going to let that stop me.

Roddy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw Wang Xiaobo recommended on this site a while ago and had a look at some of his stuff in our university library. Flicking through, I came across Mao and sat and read it all. Although it is a very short story and i just read it quickly before a lecture, it has stayed with me ever since. Whether i like it or not, i'm not sure, but the fact that it has stuck in my mind makes me think it is probably worth translating.

If you do decide to go ahead, could you post it on here? I'd be interested in reading it. Good luck.

It's a strange story isn't it, kind of haunting more than anything else. I might take another look at it today. Capturing the horror of it would be the main issue in translation I think.

If I do attempt a translation I'll certainly be posting it on here - previously it's proved an excellent way of getting comments.

Roddy