Chinese-Forums

Entering on a visa obtained in HK

maxham

Hi all,

I'm in the process of organising a multi-entry visa in HK and just wondering if theres anything I need to know when I actually enter. I'm planning on studying and maybe teaching a bit of English while in China - are they likely to grill me when I enter and if so is there anything I should/shouldn't say?

By the sounds of it, loads of people enter China this way so I guess it's not a huge issue....I'm just slightly paranoid about these things after a bit of a dodgy border experience a few years ago........

Many thanks

I think both times I've just written 'Study' on the purpose of visit bit, and been waved through without a second glance. In the unlikely event they do ask you anything, just say you are going to study, but haven't decided at which university yet.

Roddy

PS Don't write your date of birth as 'date of entry' like I did.

Was that dodgy border experience in China? I never had any trouble, neither in obtaining a visa nor in entering... In fact, I am surprised that they spellt my name correctly each time, because they seem to pay so little attention to the documents...

So unless it should be significantly different if your visa was issued in HK (for which I don't see any reason), you shouldn't have any problems.

Not on the application - if you are going the HK agency route, then you don't fill in an application at all, just handover a passport photo, your passport, and some cash and the agency handles everything else.

I was talking about the Arrivals Card or whatever it is that you hand over at immigration when you come into the country - the piece of paper where you give your planned address, arrival details, etc. To be honest, I don't think they pay much attention to it, and I've never been asked any question at all, whether flying into Beijing or taking the ferry into Shenzhen.

I'm assuming this is what the OP is asking about.

Roddy

Yes, that's exactly what I was asking about.

No, the dodgy experience wasn't in China but going from Russia to Estonia which should have been relatively simple......I know each country is completely different but I still like to have as much info as possible!!!!

Thanks to everyone for all the input.....really appreciate it.

Hi Maxham,

I am also flying to HK to obtain multi entry visa for 6 months. Do you have any receommendations on which travel agencies to use? Also, do you know what type of visa is this "multi entry" visa? The usual categories are, L (tourist visa), F (student, lesss that 6 months), X (student, more than 6 months) etc. Would this be tourist or student visa?

Many thanks, Yumei