Chinese-Forums

Chinese Eco-thriller recommendation and invitation... Chen Qiufan, Waste Tide

roddy

sounds like a really interesting read. its going on my list for sure, don't know how soon I'll start reading, but maybe in the next week or two. Would be interested in doing a read along if that does come together

• Like 1

Last year I started reading it in Chinese but soon got fed up with all the technical vocabulary, even with pop-up dictionary on the e-book, it was too much, and I have little use for all those high tech terms. I gave up the 原文  and read the English translation by Ken Liu .

I thought it was an interesting novel, with much for further thought and discussion, definitely worth a read. 

• Like 1

@Tomsima Good to hear. I've basically got notes on the first 15% or so of the book, and would hope to have a chunk more done before I actually started. Off the top of my head, I'd start the actual posts middle of next week. 

@Luxi I do know what you mean, it's a bit rapidfire at the start at least, I'd imagine the new vocab drops off over time. 

Still making my way through this. There are chucks of descriptions of technology, which I think have eased off now, but also descriptions of traditions / rituals, which could be slowing and off-putting, but I'm still enjoying it. I do somewhat hope the pace speeds up a bit now I've finished Part 1 and conflicts are starting to fall into place. 

Will post for anyone else reading maybe mid-week, hopefully. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 9:04 PM, Tomsima said:

hopefully it starts to pick up

Read the first chapter of Part 2 yesterday - I think it's safe to say things have started to happen. Some of them so unpleasant I'll probably want to warn people about them - but then some enjoyable use of the technology available. There's some potentially spooky stuff happening, which I hope will be tech-splained later, rather than left as magic. More enthused about the rest of the book now.