Chinese-Forums

How do you say "I'm looking forward to catching up with you" in Chinese?

Dawei3

A Chinese friend from Beijing who lives in the US and has superb English skills asked me this question.  (She obviously knew it was funny to ask me).  

In asking this, it's to convey its full meaning, i.e., there is someone who you were close to, but didn't contact for quite a while, and you want to learn about all of the things that have been happening in their life.  

Your thoughts?

the only thing I can think of that would actually sound like a Chinese person speaking would be something like...好想你(哦!)明天見!that's obviously if you're friends, and also is more common among girls (i guess men would say something more simple like 待會兒見、明天見 etc depending on whenever you've arranged to meet up. Expressing the full meaning of 很期待見到你 or the like could of course be used, but it would sound pretty chinglish and unnatural.

I'm sure you probably weren't looking for such a boring answer, just my two cents at least

• Helpful 1

Maybe: 很期待跟你敘敘舊

edit: read your question a little more carefully, and I think 敘舊 would only include reminiscing about the time you were together, not afterwards. Honestly not sure the smoothest way to ask the question you want.

After posting, I asked a few friends.  They struggled to think of a similar expression.  

A friend from Taiwan said  好久不见。关心一下? gives a similar feeling.  

Another friend somewhat defensively said 你最近在忙怎么呢?     However, since she said it somewhat defensively, I don't know if she really believed this phrase to give a similar feeling.  

• Helpful 1