Chinese-Forums

Chinese translation of the word tealover

lonny tao

I am really a tealover, I am drinking lots of tea everyday, most Chinese.

So I am looking how to write in Chinese the word tealover because I want to use it for something.

The character for tea, cha, is no problem, I know which character that is but how to make the word tealover with that?

Someone who can help me? can I go further with my project.

Thanks.

You do seem to see the simple 爱茶人士/爱茶的人 most often, also 爱喝茶 plus the more literary verb associated with tea-drinking 爱品茶. I was thinking there must be some literary term but the best I could find was 嗜茶者. Tried 嗜茗 which uses a literary term for tea and that does occur but doesn't seem particularly current. Bet someone else has better!

• Helpful 1

No I do not want a tattoo of it!
My plan was to make a photo of my Chinese teapots I use with the word tealover or Cinese tealover somewhere in the photo.
Is there no good word, I must do something else.

• Like 1

In that particular context, a simple sentence -- like 我爱喝茶!“I love drinking tea!" -- might come across better than just a noun of some sort.

Also, in connection with a traditional pastime like tea enjoyment, you might consider using traditional characters: 我愛喝茶.

• Helpful 1

The word "tealover" doesn't really exist in English, it would normally be two words - tea lover. I wouldn't use this either though, I would say I liked drinking tea. If I wanted to emphasis it I might say I like drinking tea very much.

I don't like the use of the word love with inanimate objects. I think the word love is reserved for living breathing beings. It is used so much now that it has become acceptable, but not for me.

In fact when I first read the topic heading I was wondering what a teal over was. 

"I think the word love is reserved for living breathing beings. It is used so much now that it has become acceptable, but not for me."

Then you've been around for quite some time!

It was good enough usage for Chaucer in 1386: "He loved bet the Taverne than the shoppe."

And Swift in 1738: "Colonel, Don't you love Bread and Butter with your Tea?"

Not to mention the King James Bible in 1611: "Love not sleep, lest thou come to poverty."

I watch livestreams from tea sellers on taobao on a daily basis and a word they use all the time is 茶友 'tea friends'. Its a bit cringy if you ask me, but sort of related to what you're after and thought I'd mention it seeing as it hasn't come up yet. you can't use it about yourself, but can use it to refer to others. 喜歡喝茶 is the phrase I would use to express this meaning, there's not really a one-to-one correspondence for expressing yourself in this way in Chinese

• Helpful 1

Looking again on the internet, I found a lot of people that say I am a tea lover, I say tealover but that is not correct ofcourse.
It is tea and lover, two words.

But what also good is to me, and that is what 889 says,  I love drinking tea, and I can change that in I love drinking Chinese tea.

So I am going to use that.

Everyone thanks for the information.

@889 I agree that it is used a lot, its just that I don't use with inanimate objects. I feel it degrades the word, if I say I love tea and then that I love my partner its almost like putting him on the same level as tea or the tea on his level which IMO is wrong.

On 4/18/2020 at 12:40 PM, lonny tao said:

My plan was to make a photo of my Chinese teapots I use with the word tealover or Cinese tealover somewhere in the photo.

Maybe something simple like 茶壶 would work for this purpose (chahu = teapot.) The two characters have lots of eye appeal when they appear together like that, especially if you were to use an attractive font. 

Another possibility along those lines might be "The tea master's teapots" 茶艺师的茶壶。

One more that is indirect but probably appropriate from what you have said could be: 爱茶,爱茶壶。(Love tea, love teapots.) 

@lonny tao -- Hope you will consider contributing to our tea section. We would welcome some good teapot articles! Lots of tea-lovers lurk here. A link for your use: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/54133-tea-articles-a-users-guide/ 

Teachat is good forum, if you haven't found it yet.

EDIT: I hadn't looked in on Teachat for a few years, but it's clear something happened over there and it's no longer the really active place it was. But there's still a lot of useful information in the back posts.

And looking into this a bit more, it seems that Chip, who held the Teachat forum together for many years, left under unhapppy circumstances and has set up a new forum, which seems fairly lively.

https://www.teaforum.org

One jocular one I came across was 茶党 which was used for the US Tea Party movement but colloquially a something-党 can mean a set of fans of some thing as it was where I saw it. Maybe not too wise to pun if you're not a native speaker though.