Chinese-Forums

Wechat mainland version

Flickserve

Getting a mainland wechat account going is rather laborious. I registered for a mainland China telephone number and used that to open wechat. 

It needs validating by another wechat user who has used wallet , had the account for more than six months and not helped anyone register before. Strangely, wechat will send a request for personal details to the other party which it already contains. I was unable to use my other wechat (HK) to confirm. It gave some BS excuse that my Wechat HK account had been already used to register another person in the last three months. (Or maybe I have been hacked??)

My other friend in HK was rather suspicious of the validation process needing some of her personal details so it took a while before she checked it out. 

After that, you have to send another SMS to wechat with a code that is given to you. I misinterpreted the English and so ended up sending some wrong SMS (not cheap) and using up more time. After that, successful registration and successful use of a new account.

Wallet can't be used yet. Haven't tried asking someone to send me a tiny amount and seeing what happens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flickserve said:

Wallet can't be used yet. Haven't tried asking someone to send me a tiny amount and seeing what happens.

This is how I’ve helped other first timer users here in Beijing. 

• Like 1

I got someone to try and send me one yuan. It asked for details of my bank card but since I haven’t opened an account with a mainland based bank branch, I couldn’t get any further. It will take some time to sort out that part. It’s quite a drawn out process.

I think we've been through this pretty exhaustively. You can only receive money if you've done real-name verification; the money sent will bounce back within 24 hours if you don't do the verification.

Verification requires a Mainland bank card, and in the case of foreigners, it needs to be with a bank that provides passport numbers in the verification process (some banks only can provide Chinese ID card numbers). It's become difficult in recent years for foreigners not resident in China to open bank accounts in the Mainland.

If you hold a HRP, there may be an alternative route to real-name verification, I'm not sure.

18 minutes ago, 889 said:

I think we've been through this pretty exhaustively

I think you are right. This thread might be candidate for merging.

I have a Home Return Permit which makes things easier for me.