Chinese-Forums

Heisig Book 2 Or No?

Chow Yun Thin

hello folks, i'm nearly finished with remembering traditional hanzi book 1. i've been casually learning to speak a bit too and recently started to work on reading, writing, listening and speaking by using film subtitles and that's going pretty well. i plan to make that my main method of study from here on in.

so, do you think it's worth me moving onto heisig book 2? from what i've seen book 1 contains all the primitives or radicals or whatever you call them so once i'm done with it (about 50 characters to go) i should be able to more or less correctly write down any new characters i see. not 100% sure i'm correct on that though.

but yeah, just interested to hear opinions. thanks everyone

• Like 1

I did book 2, and would recommend it if the mnemonic system is working for you, it gives good structure for a long term study plan. That being said, I know others have moved on to other study methods and found equal success, so I guess the answer is, yes if you want to, or try something different if you don't. The main thing is you don't lose your study rhythm: 1500 characters is good, but you've still got a lot to learn before you can comfortably start reading texts without bumping into too many new characters.

• Like 1

thanks guys. yeah i liked book 1 a lot - it got me to where i am now which is somewhere i never thought i'd get to back when i started. now i've got some kind of handle on things though i'm finding studying actual sentences more interesting and maybe more effective. think i'll stick with that and maybe give heisig 2 a go at some point in the future. definitely still a long, long way to go.  thanks for all your input.

yeah chow yun thin is evidently a GTA character

• Like 1

I never got much out of book 1. The method is interesting but I'm not sure as to the value of learning a bunch of characters many of which are on not exactly commonly scene ones outside any meaningful context.