Chinese-Forums

Any possibility of getting a work visa during this time?

kroy123

I'm Australian, currently in Shenzhen on a tourist visa (the 60 day automatic extension expires in about 3 weeks for me, I'm looking to see if I can get a 30 day extension on top of that) and want to stay in China by any means possible. Is there any chance that I can get a work visa in this time? Are work visas still being issued, and could I possibly get one without leaving china? I am open to any English teaching job at all. I have multiple years work experience (non English teaching) and a degree.

You could try contacting the Chinese visa application centre in Hong Kong?  Apparently they're open.

http://bio.visaforchina.org/HKG2_EN/

6th May 2020

Due to the COVID-19, our business hours will be temporarily adjusted from 11th May 2020 as follows:

1. Visa Application and Collection:

i.Our center will ONLY be OPEN from 09:00-12:00, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday(except holidays) for visa application and collection.

ii.Our center will be CLOSED on Wednesday and Friday.

2. Call-center and email service will remain in operation from 09:00-16:00, Monday to Friday (except holidays).

According to the Notice of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China National Immigration Administration Announcement on the Temporary Suspension of Entry by Foreign Nationals Holding Valid Chinese Visas or Residence Permits, foreign nationals coming to China for necessary economic, trade, scientific or technological activities or out of emergency humanitarian needs may apply for visas at our center ONLY.

Please check our website for further updated notice. We apologize for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your cooperation.

Chinese Visa Application Service Center

As the OP must know, if he crosses into HK he'll be subject to a 14-day quarantine, probably at his own expense, before he can approach the Visa Centre in person. My guess is he won't get a work visa there now unless his employer has especially strong guanxi. And there'll be another 14-day quarantine on return to Shenzhen with his new visa, if he does get one.

The quarantine restrictions between Hong Kong and the Mainland are gradually being relaxed, but the relaxed rules cover only certain categories of border crossers. The situation is changing, though, so who knows what it will be in a few weeks.

I'd imagine mungouk was suggesting a phone call, rather than a four-week round trip.

That said, your immediate problem isn't a work visa, it's the invitation documents that would allow you to (try to) get one. And those come from employers. In your situation I'd first have a very solid Plan B, then I'd be contacting lots and lots of employers to see if they have any idea when recruitment might start. I'd imagine this could vary significantly across the country, so I'd be casting my net wide. 

• Like 1