Chinese-Forums

My last name

daryane tjuk

Hey guys.

All my life I’ve been wondering what my last name means or what it actually is in the Chinese language. My name is Surinamese Chinese, meaning it is translated weirdly. My ancestors were kinda like “slaves” in Surinam so the last name is just written down how it sounded like. 

But what I’m confused with is.. that my grandpa who I got the last name from he is Javanese/Chinese from Surinam. So is it really Chinese or is it Indonesian?  Can y’all help me with this? 

my last name is: Tjuk Tjauw Tjin 

This is from an old transliteration system once much used in Indonesia and the Straits Settlements.

In that system, Tjuk Tjauw Tjin seems to be the Hanyu Pinyin equivalent of Zhu Chao (Zhao?) Zhen. But the system seemed to have the occasional apostrophe in there as a marker, and that may have been lost over time in your name.

Chinese family names are traditionally just a single character, apart from a very few double-character ones. I don't know of any triple-character surnames (non-Han minorities excepted).

(Apart from the possible Java connection, there's the possibility that Dutch officials in Suriname were simply working from the same bureaucratic bible for transliterations as Dutch officials in Indonesia. I bet the book they worked from is somewhere in the Dutch archives.)

• Thanks 1
  • Helpful 3

3 hours ago, 889 said:

Chinese family names are traditionally just a single character, apart from a very few double-character ones. I don't know of any triple-character surnames (non-Han minorities excepted).

Tjuk Tjauw Tjin would have been the person's full name: surname Tjuk, given name Tjauw-tjin. Many of such Surinamese-Chinese surnames have an A in the middle: Chin A Fo, Tjin A Lien.

• 4 weeks later...

My grandfather is 64 if I’m correct. What iknow is that my ancestor worked in Surinam back in 1860. I don’t have anything related to him. I don’t anything. My grandfather was born in Suriname just like many before him. So they don’t know or never even thought about it. I am really into this because I had a difficult time appreciating who I am and what I am. So I’m searching for answers. 

Tjuk Tjauw Tjin is way to long to be a Chinese surname. I even went and looked for files in the national archive of Suriname. I can’t find anything. 

my grandma is also Surinamese Chinese 

her last name is lie-kwie. It’s so different. Maybe Tjuk Tjauw Tjin is just a Javanese surname? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting topic, hoping you can find the answers you are looking for.

Considering that "the people of Suriname are among the most diverse in the world, spanning a multitude of ethnic, religious, and linguistic groups", doesn't the Suriname/Dutch governments have some sort of demographic institute that specializes on this? Perhaps you can contact them with your query?

Edit: General Bureau of Statistics of Suriname & Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute

• Like 1
  • Good question! 1

On 6/6/2020 at 3:41 PM, daryane tjuk said:

Tjuk Tjauw Tjin is way to long to be a Chinese surname.

This is a Chinese name (at least it looks exactly like a Chinese name). The surname is Tjuk. Your ancestor's full name would have been Tjuk Tjauw Tjin. In Chinese, the surname ('achternaam') comes first, the given name ('voornaam') last. So your ancestor would have been Mr Tjuk, given name Tjauw Tjin. But he passed on the entire name, not just the surname.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...