Chinese-Forums

iPad / iPad pro users

Flickserve

17 minutes ago, mikelove said:

there are no license restrictions I’m aware of that would compel us to *not* allow our app to be downloaded on ARM Macs

How about Intel Macs running Catalina (via Catalyst?)...?

57 minutes ago, mungouk said:

How about Intel Macs running Catalina (via Catalyst?)...?

That one is a bit trickier; we do have X86 versions of all of the third-party code libraries we use in our iOS app, but they're built for iOS Simulator, and for a variety of reasons some Simulator libraries won't work on Catalyst. We could of course license new versions of those libraries, but those might involve new royalties and other complications. (and I don't know how much appetite people will have for paying to use things on old Macs while they can use them on new Macs for free)

That being said, we have workarounds / alternatives available for pretty much all of that stuff so none of them would stop us from releasing an Intel Mac version of Pleco altogether, it just wouldn't necessarily work 100% identically to our iPad app.

• Like 1

To be honest, given that Apple has done a very good job of insinuating itself into my life lately (phone, watch and tablet within the last 18 months, although all low-end or second hand), a laptop/desktop sharing the same OS might be quite tempting. Although it's sounding increasingly like I could just get an iPad Pro and a keyboard for outside the house (ha!) and dock to monitor and full-sized keyboard/mouse at home. The only software I can think of that I couldn't use on an iPad is MemoQ, and I can keep a laptop in the cupboard for those occasions. 

5 hours ago, roddy said:

The only software I can think of that I couldn't use on an iPad is MemoQ

Memoqweb could be a workaround? I've not used it, only heard its a service they offer, don't know if you have any experience using it before?

Possibly, but the only MemoQ work I do is for an agency client and I don't do enough work for them to start asking if I can tamper with their workflow. Although they might be using it already, might ask at some point if I hear from them again. Memsource looks interesting - relatively cheap as well. Have you ever used that?

• 3 months later...
On 6/23/2020 at 10:36 AM, roddy said:

That automatic handwriting ability in any text field does look useful. 

Got myself an Apple Pencil - had a voucher for the Apple Store I didn't have much use for, as there's not much point upgrading my mobile technology when I hardly go anywhere, so thought I'd give it a shot and it's an easy resell if I don't want to keep it. Will have a play with it - I quite like the idea of annotating stuff more easily while I'm reading, but whether that actually happens or not...

• Like 1