Chinese-Forums

Where to get work corrected?

luker7

Hey everyone, 

During these times I, like many other people, am using my time at home to self-study Chinese. I feel I'm making good progress, however when it comes to my written work I feel like I need someone to correct my work so I don't continuously make the same mistakes. Anyone know how I can go about this?  I'm already using a tutor on iTalki, but I don't want to take up class time with this. 

Thanks!

I haven't used italki for a while, but I was under the impression that you could post your writings there and that other users would correct them. I did that several years ago, and there were always people willing to help. The only drawback is that you can never be sure how reliable the corrections are, and most people don't give an explanation of why what you wrote was wrong. But even if you find a language partner, there is no guarantee that they would be any better.

• Like 1

Well yes, there are never any guarantees if you want anything "for free".  I've had similar experiences with italki... Sadly I don't think any of their "platform" features like notebooks really have much value.

@luker7 — why the resistance to using class-time for going through corrections to homework?  IMHO digging into the "why" of mistakes is one of the most valuable ways of learning.

There are loads of books that have exercises and answers that you can check yourself, but spending 10-15 mins of each lesson to correct homework with a paid teacher is good use of your time I reckon.

Is Lang8 still around? I used to post short Chinese compositions 文章 there for native speakers to correct. I reciprocated by correcting their English. It worked fast; usually within minutes. 

--------------------- 

Here is the website: https://lang-8.com/. (I have not used it in years.)  

Lang-8.thumb.PNG.01be8a5337294153742668f6028273a5.PNG