Chinese-Forums

"36 stratagems" and "The Art of War" research

Kotophed

• New Members

Hello, I'm doing a research paper on "36 stratagems" and "The Art of War". I would like to know about any researchers of these tractates, both Western and Eastern, names of their works on the subject  and anything related to the topic in general. Thanks in advance.

Hi. Maybe you could give us a bit more background on what you need help with?

Does "doing a research paper" mean you're supposed to conduct a literature survey as part of a course of study?

How far have you got so far?  Did you already speak to subject librarians, use google scholar, paid-for-databases and so on?

Are you searching for information in English, Chinese, or any language?

• Helpful 3

• New Members

Hi, thanks for the reply, to make it short I'm writing a dissertation on the subject of the stratagems and "Art of War" application in western history, be it by people, who read them, or a simple coincidence, similar tactics, etc. I wanted to write a few (or more, depending on the ammount of info I can find) paragraphs about research of them. I managed to find a couple words about translation of the stratagems to english, but not much. That's the whole story.

Ah, a doctoral student!

@Kotophed, have you contacted any academic/research librarians? If not, start by reaching out to those at your university. I bet they are awesome and will be happy to provide assistance tailored to your research needs. Also consider asking your doctoral advisor and other professors within your department. If they can’t answer your questions directly, they can put you in touch with people who can.

• Helpful 1