Chinese-Forums

University in Chengdu requires a Letter of Guarantee

BlackMamba

Hi,

I am just applying for a Chinese program that I did in the last fall semester from September 2019 till January 2020. The summer semester I cancelled because of Corona. Now I applied for the fall semester again and now the same university suddenly wants a Letter of Guarantee. The whole application and arriving at the university procedure was also very inefficient last year there.

It seems that now the procedure is even more senseless and inefficient that I would rather study Chinese at another university in Chengdu where they don't need a Letter of Guarantee. Can someone recommend a good university in Chengdu for studying Chinese where I can still apply now.

I quote from what is written inside that Letter of Guarantee document

"In case of any special circumstance, the guarantor will immediately report to the Student Affair Office, and bear joint legal liability for the consequences of the relevant illegal acts from the warrantee. The guarantor shall be the first responsible person."

"1. The guarantor must be a citizen of mainland China or a foreigner with a legal visa in China;"

For me this doesn't make any sense. It would make a little sense if relatives or someone close to me would have to sign such a letter but a stranger that is a citizen of mainland China or a foreigner with a legal visa in China shall be liable for anything a foreign student in China does? I would never sign such a document for someone unless this is maybe a relative.

I find it embarassing to ask a citizen of mainland China or a foreigner with a legal visa in China to sign such a letter for me and also send scans of his/her passport to me which they also require. It is even illegal in some countries to send copies of the own passport to someone. Does someone know a university in Chengdu that doesn't require such a procedure?

• Good question! 1
  • Helpful 1

Which university are you applying to?

Edit: I will answer you through here, instead of DM's, so someone in the same situation can also get help.

Apparently SWUFE is the one requesting this. I am not surprised, they have always been more bureaucratic than others in the city, albeit this kind of requests are a formality most of the time that can be skipped if you contact directly the student's office via Wechat. Once done the enrollment through there, they will simply approve your enrollment request online.

Unfortunately, due to the current situation, it's hard to tell if this is really enforced or not. If I were to guess, I'd say it's enforced now but will later be dropped once/when/if the new semester is actually open for enrollment. Perhaps you can wait 1-2 months? Otherwise you can try your luck at Minda: http://english.swun.edu.cn/. I have friends that have attended both this university and Chuanda, and the former is way more chill with requirements (and about 6000kuai/semester only if I am not mistaken).

• Thanks 1

I asked if this is really necessary via email. I think I could find a person signing this but it would be embarassing for me to ask someone for that. I would just ask a relative for that who knows me very well but a stranger?? Ive seen many rules in China that are a bit strange but still OK but this one here doesn't make any sense. If I would be a first time student how should I even know someone in China to do that for me? Because that person also would have to trust me extremely much as this person would be liable...

They also ask now for a Physical Examination Record. I would do that but it was also not needed last time. But that I could better understand in the current times of Corona. It's just that they want this very quickly now and I check tomorrow if I can get that this quickly because that thing also requires an X-Ray....

they said no that a relative can sign it also but I saw that they also want a PHYSICAL EXAMINATION RECORD FOR FOREIGNER including the negative film of X-Ray exams.

Any experience with that requirement? I don't want to do an X-Ray and then also have to go to a hospital just for that because the local doctor can't do it. So much time and money waste.

28 minutes ago, BlackMamba said:

they said no that a relative can sign it also but I saw that they also want a PHYSICAL EXAMINATION RECORD FOR FOREIGNER including the negative film of X-Ray exams.

By physical examination record what do you exactly mean? 

If what you mean is a one-off physical test (which includes blood/urine analysis, chest X-Rays and more), then that's been compulsory for a few years now. You won't be able to get any visa/residence permit longer than 6 months without it and there's no way to skip that. I've been doing mine every year for quite a while, and you always need to make sure you take the tests when your visa renewal is coming up, since it only has a 6 months-period validity.

I am not aware of people being asked for a "record" which, as I understand, would have to include all past examinations. In fact, they will never accept last year's examination, even if it's only been 200-300 days since those tests were taken.

28 minutes ago, BlackMamba said:

Any experience with that requirement? I don't want to do an X-Ray and then also have to go to a hospital just for that because the local doctor can't do it. So much time and money waste.

Bear in mind that if you take any of those test outside of China, they won't be valid inside the country and you'll be required to attend a certified chinese hospital. In Chengdu that hospital is:

成都出入境检疫局

Address: 10, North Tongzilin Rd. 人民南路四段28号桐梓林北路10号

Time: 8:30am-12pm. It is advised to go before 11AM.

Cost: 523 RMB (Cash or Bank Card)

(info taken from here)

10 minutes ago, xinoxanu said:

If what you mean is a one-off physical test (which includes blood/urine analysis, chest X-Rays and more), then that's been compulsory for a few years now. You won't be able to get any visa/residence permit longer than 6 months without it and there's no way to skip that.

I have been in China for almost 3 years and never had to do it till now and I also had residence permits longer than 6 months.

11 minutes ago, xinoxanu said:

and you always need to make sure you take the tests when your visa renewal is coming up, since it only has a 6 months-period validity.

you are doing all the times x-rays? In my country it is said that x-rays may only be done if there is an indication so that not doing x-rays has a higher risk than doing the x-rays.

17 minutes ago, xinoxanu said:

a pdf that looks like this one:  https://www.digiedupro.com/physical-examination-for-the-chinese-visa/

Not really sure how’ve you lived here 3 years but never done nor heard of the medical... ?

Completely standard across China. In 2011 on arrival I did one, did another when I changed to a student visa/residence permit and did another when I changed back to a work visa. Since then I’ve been renewing for the same occupation and not had to do another. It’s been a while but they’re fine. Just join the merry-go-round of people going from examination to examination. The ultrasound is the best. 

If you don’t want to have an x-day then cancel you’re university plans. China isn’t flexible with this sort of thing. 

I studied back in 2013 in Beijing and had to have a guarantor (my Dad did it) as well. Seemed fairly standard for foreign students at that time. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

My thoughts exactly. Do you have a residence permit or you take part in the so-called "visa runs"? Sorry, read too fast. Weird though.

Maybe in a rural area in Yunnan they don't require a physical exam? Perhaps @abcdefg can help shine a light.

If you have been in China for so long, you should already know by now that there's no argument you can make to bypass set-on-stone requirements. If the Chinese government really wants you to take an X-Ray, be certain you will have to or else leave the country.

49 minutes ago, BlackMamba said:
1 hour ago, xinoxanu said:

a pdf that looks like this one:  https://www.digiedupro.com/physical-examination-for-the-chinese-visa/

Checked the link, but I don't think you should be following their indications, it's full of weird stuff. 

The PDF you mention is for the doctor to fill and for you to keep. The hospital will issue a certificate that grants you a visa "pass"/"deny" and you will have to bring the original to the PSB together with your university documents. 

I have seen it of course but I never had to provide it so I thought that this is just a rule but no one pays attention to it...

2 hours ago, xinoxanu said:

Bear in mind that if you take any of those test outside of China, they won't be valid inside the country and you'll be required to attend a certified chinese hospital. In Chengdu that hospital is:

But in the PDF it says
"Ⅰ.The foreign students, who study in China, should go through a physical check-up before they come to China, according to the requirements of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners. The hospital seal should be put across the photo on the Examination Record, or the Record is invalid."

"Ⅱ.All the items of this form should be filled in carefully and clearly. The report should be attached with the negative film for Chest X-ray exams, and the examination certificates for laboratory exams (Serodiagnosis), which include exams on Cholera, Yellow fever, Plague, Leprosy, Venereal Disease, Opening lung tuberculosis, AIDS, Psychosis, Liver function and HBsAG."

"Ⅲ. Applicants must submit the physical examination report when they submit online application. The physical examination should be taken in the public hospitals, if the physical check-up is done at a private hospital, the student should get the certificate notarized."

"Ⅳ. Students should bring the original valid physical examination report for registration day. Therefore, please carefully plan your physical examination schedule as the result is valid for only 6 months."

Yes, bullet (1) may happen - sorry if I wasn't clear. They can ask you to take a medical test to get your visa to China approved by the embassy, but then you also have to take the same test to be able to convert that "entry" visa into a residence permit once in China.

On the other hand, I really can't believe you got a Master's in SWUFE in the last few years without taking the physical test. It's not possible, something's fishy. 

no me and also many others all didnt have to take that physical test. I asked them if the test can be done when in China only. Would be bad to do it twice. Before it was maybe just that they sometimes pick out students that have to do it.

This was written in an email last year when I didnt have to take it and got a residence permit "Medical check ( if notified)

In some cases, your language program may require you to get a medical examination and provide that to CIE. It is very easy to get this here in China, and we are happy to help you where we can..."

• New Members

@BlackMamba are you on a student's residence permit already? 

I'm currently on a work RP, and inquired at the Chengdu PSB two days ago... They said there is now no way to get a student RP unless you leave the country and enter on a new X visa. But obviously, it's currently essentially impossible to enter China.

• Like 1

I have a RP that is valid till July 20 this year but i left China in February and applied for a refund for the spring semester because of Corona. In February I thought that it is more safe to leave the country than maybe land in a crowded Chinese hospital if I get the virus.

• 3 weeks later...

The uni just said that they will will cease to provide any assistance on visa issues during 2020 Fall semester. Sichuan university is doing the same. Just called them. They said the border is closed. So now it seems nowhere in China can be studied this fall semester?

"The uni just said that they will will cease to provide any assistance on visa issues during 2020 Fall semester. Sichuan university is doing the same. Just called them. They said the border is closed. So now it seems nowhere in China can be studied this fall semester?"

As an aside, this confirms the general view that foreigners are for the most part going to be barred from China for many months to come.

I work for LTL, so keep this in mind

LTL offers the semester program in Chengdu in September 2020 and will definitely provide you a lot of support. However, if visas and entering China will be possible we (and I am afraid nobody else either) simply do not know. LTL can guarantee that the teaching will definitely take place, in the very worst case as a Chinese online semester so you will definitely be able to learn Mandarin.

However there is no way to guarantee entry into China or that physical classes will take place as we have just seen in Beijing in case there is new surge in infections the authorities will close everything down again.

Normal life is a bit uncertain at the moment, but online classes are guaranteed to take place.

On top of the above:  One thing several friends have discussed is the need for a Covid-19 test upon entry to China or doing the 14-day quarantine. 

However, a friend in Beijing just said that the appointment slots for getting the test, for native Chinese living in Beijing, are booked until Sept. With the virus situation getting worse outside of China, the testing requirement is likely continue.  I wonder if they will reserve testing capacity for foreigners coming into China. 

(and as others have noted, things are constantly changing.)