Chinese-Forums

Meaning of 萍 in name?

hydra

A nice question about Chinese names because I am recently writing a paper concerning a few Chinese names in one novel. I may share my idea on it. 

The character 萍 refers to grass floating on the water. When it is used as someone's name, it means tender, natural, and friendly. However, since this character always appears in ancient works, it is rarely used for naming my generation born after 1995. That's my personal opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• New Members

@If_IwasaLinguist Thanks for your reply! It is the last character of my name and I’ve always been confused of its meaning since my parents aren’t Chinese educated. My aunt was actually the one who chose my Chinese name, but she can’t explain the meaning well. Coincidentally I’m born after 2000 haha. Is there any online resource for finding meanings of Chinese names? I searched so hard for one but no luck

Actually each name picked after the serious consideration will contain the giver's sincere hopes and wishes. And I would like to admit that if you like, every character can become a part of your name because you favorite it. 

As for myself, the English name is If and one of my previous English teachers, who comes from London and is assumed as an authentic British by me, told me that my name for British people sounded like Chinese people hearing 123. And my literary translation teacher told me that this name seemed tricky because "If", usually served as the begining word of adverbial clauses of condition, contained a lot of uncertainty and then the person who is named by it would show a kind of unreliable feeling. Nevertheless, I still use it as my name because I like it.