Chinese-Forums

Trying to subscribe to a HK based webhosting service

Pengyou

I want to start using more webtools in my teaching, so want to subscribe to a webhosting service.  Services with data centers in HK would be ideal - would probably provide the fastest service to anyone in the mainland.  I presently use Bluehost, a service based in the US, and my attempted Moodle installation was too slow to even consider using :(  I have checked with Aliyun for their non-mainland services but have datacenters based in HK but they require that I have a HK phone number in order to verify my account - received SMS messages for me to respond to.  The typical tourist HK sim cards do not allow forwarding sms messages.  Skype will sell a HK phone number, but does not provide SMS service.  Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what you mean by a HK "tourist" SIM. The standard HK SIMs available everywhere in HK can receive SMSs just about anywhere in the world, at no charge. No registration required: just buy the card at a convenience store and start using it. I'd guess somebody out there is selling these online and shipping them to Beijing, but I haven't looked.

EDIT:

Something like this? HK$30 shipping to the Mainland.

https://www.hyperair.com/fr/travel-sim-card/hong-kong/hong-kong-365-day-csl-4g-sim-card-with-calls-annual-card

All I know is that "normal" SIMs bought in HK permit roaming and receive SMSs in Mainland China and elsewhere overseas. Perhaps there are special SIMs that don't permit roaming, I don't know. It is odd that the specs on that page say, "Signal Coverage: Hong Kong." Is that only HK? I don't know. Perhaps search around on the web for a "normal" HK SIM.

There's a HK card on sale on TMall. But there's a strong warning against using it on the Mainland: 仅限香港澳门使用,在中国大陆禁止插卡,插卡会直接停机且无法恢复!

Godaddy have data centres in Singapore which have good connectivity with the rest of Asia.

They don't care where your phone number is from.

I've been using hosting there for a few years... I'm not particularly in love with their customer service, but connectivity is good.

I think @mungouk‘s advice is good, finding a hosting provider with data centers in Singapore will be less trouble and speed should be serviceable. Assuming you succeed at getting a HK hosting service, you may end up losing it in a year if China decides that even HK websites need to register with a valid ID.

That said, Godaddy has pretty bad customer service. I use them as well but I’m comfortable on the command line and can resolve my own issues. If you need more support you might want to consider another provider.

• Like 1

We've used icdsoft.com for years for our Hong Kong file mirror server - haven't ever required any HK-specific identity verification as far as I know. (though of course that could always change in the present environment) No option for SSH access though, shared hosting with a control panel only.

EDIT: checked their website and they actually do offer VPS'es in Hong Kong now.

• Helpful 1