Chinese-Forums

Registration of foreigners

maxham

Yes. Just go to the local police station (派出所) with your passport and address. I've never needed my landlord to accompany me, although you should have his/her name and phone number.

Incidentally, DO NOT LOSE the stamped receipt they give you. Place it somewhere safe since you may need it to do things like in-county visa-extensions. It's also your record that you've actually registered.

I guess it depends on where you go. The station where I live (Beitaipingzhuang) insisted that the landlord or a close relative accompany me, with their title to the apartment, their hukou, and the IDs of everyone in their hometown (or so it seemed). That was last year.

Then today, as I was going to extend my visa, I realized that my residence registration had expired back in March. Needless to say, the visa folks turned me away, and when I went to the local station, they made me go and get the landlord again. The guy at the station really chewed me out, but he didn't make me pay any fine.

So, like in any paperwork situation, your mileage definitely may vary.