Chinese-Forums

Does a RTK2-like listing of phonetic-semantic hanzi really not exist?

phonsem

• New Members

One of the cornerstones of learning Japanese is the Remembering the Kanji series by Heisig and the Japanese edition has a separate volume for the readings. It lists the phonetic-semantic characters in groups by the phonetic radical,  for example showing that the character 情 implies it's reading on the right side. It has more than one  possible reading while some others have only one - nevertheless a very helpful trick to learn the readings.

Since I started learning Mandarin, my plan was to quickly grab a book like that and start learning the readings the easy way. But.... It's seems such a book does not exist! 

What do you guys think about this? Have you ever come across such a book? Or could I use a dictionary that lists characters by radicals to look for similar readings? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Although not quite common, those books do exist. The main problem is that they are aimed at native speakers, so if you have a beginner level you won't get much about the explanations.

In another post I already talked about this topic and I uploaded some images of a book called 形声字谱, I hope you can find it.

Edit: I also found a book aimed at children which is called 汉字开花. Maybe it could be suitable for foreign students. You can check it out here: 

https://www.zgxjjw.com/news/2019/07/11951.html

https://www.openschoolbag.com.sg/product/etutorstar-word-blooming-pack-

• Like 1