Chinese-Forums

Meaning of Ya-k'o-sa (雅克萨)

Pan Turecki

From wikipedia article about the town of Ya-k'o-sa (https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/雅克萨)

雅克萨距黑河旧城(旧称黑龙江城)西北一千三百馀里,城东有提咸河湾城,满语意为“涮塌了的江湾子”。

I am confused - how should I understand this passage?

In particular:

1. What does  涮塌了的江湾子  mean?

2. Did the Manchu name "涮塌了的江湾子" refer to the town Ya-k'o-sa itself, or was it the name of another, neighboring city?

Any help appreciated.

1. As I understand it, it means "a meander which was destroyed by the flow of water" or "meander flushed by the water" (sorry my English is not so good).

2. Since the article is talking about 雅克萨, it is the meaning of this town's name.

If you are interested in this place and it's history, I recommend you reading the Baidu article which is more comprehensive:

https://baike.baidu.com/item/雅克萨/5173837

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dlezcano said:

If you are interested in this place and it's history, I recommend you reading the Baidu article which is more comprehensive:

Thank you, I am interested and indeed the article provided me with additional info.  I am looking for the earliest possible occurrence of " 雅克萨 " in a historical document.  The earliest relation I found so far comes from year 1665 C.E. or possibly a short time after that, and what I need is a record coming from before 1665.

I realize that it extends beyond "Tattoos, Names and Quick Translations", so I just mentioned it, in case anyone had the information handy. But first of all: I really appreciate everyone's help and your explanations concerning the meaning of the town's name.

• Like 1