Chinese-Forums

SCMP is going PayWall

mungouk

In recent years this shift has become almost inevitable I guess... SCMP has just announced that it's moving behind a PayWall from August.

Introducing the South China Morning Post’s new digital subscription plans

Actually I think it's impressive that it survived being taken over by Alibaba but managed to continue being (apparently) independent and certainly not afraid to criticise the mainland... Recent reporting on the protests, COVID etc have all been very balanced.

Whether the new security law will change this for all HK-based media remains to be seen.

• Like 1

Definitely been using it more over the last few months, but it's not really a daily read. Will consider signing up when I can see prices (which haven't been revealed yet?), but I suspect the free articles will be enough. 

They had a hard paywall before. Maybe this time they'll have a soft one, like NYT.

Actually, I find SCMP becoming less and less relevant. Stories stay up for days and days: new content is sparse for a newspaper. That and the website is slow as can be on mobile.

I read SCMP regularly as a non-US source of Chinese news.  I don't know of an equivalent.  When a writer works there told me they were moving to a digital subscription model, I didn't think I would pay.  However, I've found I read it so often, I would consider paying (if the cost is reasonable).  She had noted that the paper has been losing money for years.  Time will tell if their new model will allow SCMP to continue publishing (and whether their independent reporting will continue).  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 889 said:

I find SCMP becoming less and less relevant.

Well, what alternatives would anyone suggest, for reading "independent" news in English about the PRC?

I sometimes read Nikkei Asian Review (generally business news, also paywall after 3 articles per month) and occasionally the Straits Times, although not as often as I did when living in Singapore... plus it also has padlocks all over the place, and SPH are hardly a paragon of press freedom anyway.

I find SCMP quite good to read actually! I have no strong views on whether its reliable or not, but I feel its the best option (in a sparse field). I read an article from their say once a week. Also the website is a lot more easy for me to navigate and visually appealing, than other Chinese newspapers!

• Like 2

Here's what the "Media Bias/Fact Check" organization says about SCMP:

"These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias.  They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes.  These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation."

• Overall, we rate The South China Morning Post Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left and Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing."

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/south-china-morning-post/

Their page provides more details than I have provided.  

I've read their reviews of multiple media organizations and they seem quite accurate (the one on the China Daily News is quite interesting)

• Like 1

One problem I have these days is that I like reading bits and pieces of different newspapers, with different editorial biases. I try to do this on purpose, to avoid being exposed to world views that are too consistent. If everything goes behind a paywall, I need a small fortune to subscribe to a sufficiently large number of sources.

What would be ideal is the equivalent of the newspaper reading room of a well-stocked library. I pay a subscription for the reading room and my cash gets divided up among all participating media. Like Spotify for news. Does something like this exist? Is it Apple News?