Chinese-Forums

Italki free 30 min 1 on 1 class - August promotion

杰.克

Hi all,

Found this and thought you guys may appreciate, Italki has got a promotion on at the moment where you can get a 30 minute class as way of a trial - click here if interested!

italki is just a language learning platform. So the class is just a 1 on 1 with a Chinese tutor over skype or whatever.  I guess most of you know of it- its a fairly big player in language industry.

So whats my angle? well the link i gave you is like a user-referral thing. I'm a regular user of italki, and so I also get a free class as well if you sign up for a free class. Win win co-operation - as the Chinese would say. Other than that nothing else ?

Promotion finishes soonish- end of August i think. Anyhow i like it as a platform, give it a go if you have time. Im sure other forum users will recommend as well

Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 16.50.56.png

6 hours ago, 889 said:

This is plain wrong.

First, Italki has long provided free or reduced initial lessons. Nothing at all new here.

Second, you shouldn't be trying to personally benefit off this forum. Even worse, not disclosing that you're benefitting.

Is this sarcasm?

Firstly- the link literally has a countdown for when it ends

16 hours ago, 杰.克 said:

So whats my angle? well the link i gave you is like a user-referral thing. I'm a regular user of italki, and so I also get a free class as well if you sign up for a free class.

Secondly -  If you read the opening post, I wrote a paragraph about "So whats my angle? " telling you I benefit by getting a free referral class!  HELLOOOOOOOO THIS IS ME DISCLOSING ITS A REFERAL LINK THAT I PERSONALLY BENEFIT FROM

Lol - either sarcasm or awful attempt at a gotya post!  People do not have to use my link at all. Its not a pre-requisite. You can go straight to the website

So 889 I don't think you should be personally trying to inject poison into this forum on completely and utterly ludicrous reasons!

Ive messaged imron and roddy to take a look at this. Happy for them to delete it if they deem it suitable.

In random order...

1) It looks to me like trials on italki do usually cost money, so 30-mins free seems like an 'offer' here worth posting about. Although I do wonder how this works out for the teachers.

2) Generally speaking we don't encourage the posting of affiliate links, as the question then becomes whether it's a genuine recommendation or not. Would the OP have posted this without the incentive? Perhaps, perhaps not.

3) But when it's an established service that's already well-known on here, and a regular member doing the posting, I don't think we're too worried. Especially when it's not a financial incentive as such. OP's interest in getting more lessons is perhaps a recommendation of sorts.

4) We'd probably prefer to be asked in advance of posts like this, if only so us admin staff can take any flak for approving it, rather than the user for posting it.

5) If anyone else wants to also post their italki affiliate links, go ahead. Let a hundred flowers profit. Anyone taking advantage can choose whose link to click.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, roddy said:

In random order...

1) It looks to me like trials on italki do usually cost money, so 30-mins free seems like an 'offer' here worth posting about. Although I do wonder how this works out for the teachers.

2) Generally speaking we don't encourage the posting of affiliate links, as the question then becomes whether it's a genuine recommendation or not. Would the OP have posted this without the incentive? Perhaps, perhaps not.

3) But when it's an established service that's already well-known on here, and a regular member doing the posting, I don't think we're too worried. Especially when it's not a financial incentive as such. OP's interest in getting more lessons is perhaps a recommendation of sorts.

4) We'd probably prefer to be asked in advance of posts like this, if only so us admin staff can take any flak for approving it, rather than the user for posting it.

5) If anyone else wants to also post their italki affiliate links, go ahead. Let a hundred flowers profit. Anyone taking advantage can choose whose link to click.

Thanks for the sense-speaking post :D

2) For balance -  i should also say I am receiving payment from Football Manager, QingChunyouni and Peter Hessler for posting about their products - and many other products 

9 hours ago, 889 said:

Even worse, not disclosing that you're benefitting.

I sincerely apologise 889 for not disclosing this! Please take this as an upfront admission of me being a full time SHILL!

FM in this post- https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/57612-recommendations-for-chinese-language-video-games/page/2/

On 12/21/2018 at 7:11 AM, 杰.克 said:

Football Manager games now support simplified and traditional Mandarin! If you like this sort of game?

Chinese talent programme called qingchunyouni in this thread - https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/59880-青春有你-chinese-singing-talent-tv-show/

On 4/24/2020 at 11:03 AM, 杰.克 said:

Is anyone watching this? I recently picked it up, as I noticed it is trending alot on weibo

the author Peter Hessles books in this thread https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/54017-peter-hessler/

On 4/25/2017 at 5:17 AM, 杰.克 said:

I recently read River Town, and am well on my way through the other books in his China trilogy (Oracle Bones, Country Driving) and I've got to say I find them and his life absolutely fascinating. Firstly the books are riveting, the way he manages to convey the enormous change, the China he is living in is going through, via the lives of the 'ordinary people' he meets is excellent. It makes all of this change that much easier to conceptualise and personalise. The fact that he moved to China in 1996 is almost not comprehendable when I relate it to my study experience here (studying at Zheda 2013-2015 , read; i thought i was ground breaking!). Add to this that he seems to pick up Chinese at lightening speed and his ability to convey experiences that relate to all expats (i like his description of the two versions of himself, those that come out when he uses the Chinese/English). All of this should garner huge admiration and respect...

.. but my appreciation has been taken to new levels on realising that he is married to the author Leslie Chang author of Factory Girls, again a marvelous book that tells the tale of China's factories global impact on the world through the eyes of individuals. Its poetically beautiful. But wait, theres more...

Reading from his website, after 10 years in China he and his wife, moved back to USA to have children. Seemingly this was not enough however, and they as of 2011, relocated to Egypt with their young children, to learn Arabic and cover the ever changing political situation for the New Yorker.

I'm just amazed at the role model this guy is for anyone wanting to lead a varied life (which I imagine the majority of you strive to do). My only disappointment is that he know longer lives in Beijing, so my chances of meeting him are less!

SHORT version of this post - Read his books!

"SHORT version of this post - Read his books!" I mean could this any more obviously be an ADVERT !!!!???? 

13 minutes ago, 889 said:

Myself, I don't see any reason why any of us should continue to offer advice and answers free on this forum when others are out there using it for their own financial benefit.

Let's start charging for translations and other help.

In other words, unless you are paid, you are no longer going to post to this forum...well... I am in full support!

加油889!

On 8/2/2020 at 10:43 AM, roddy said:

Generally speaking we don't encourage the posting of affiliate links

Very much agree.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:43 AM, roddy said:

But when it's an established service that's already well-known on here, and a regular member doing the posting, I don't think we're too worried.

I will also add "as long as it doesn't become a habit".  An established member making a one-off referral post for an established service - fine (even I've got a post somewhere with a Digital Ocean referral in it), but if it starts to become a pattern it'll get shutdown pretty quickly.  These forums and its members generally take a dim view on accounts that do this sort of thing.

• Like 2