Chinese-Forums

Japanese and Spanish manga/comics

TheWind

Hey CF members,

Was curious to know if anyone had suggested websites, books or other resources regarding casual comic book reading in either of these languages. I found a very helpful thread that was discussing this very topic for Chinese learners, but I'm looking to start reading some basic (Doraemon level)  comics in Japanese and Spanish as well.

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/27354-grand-comic-reading-project/

Any resources or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Good question! 1

For Spanish:

- Basically anything that is of French or Belgian origin since the 1960's onwards is great in Spanish: Tintin, Asterix, Spirou, Valérian and Laureline.... As a kid I read them in both languages and the message was exactly the same. Very good translations. In Spanish you also have a great Comic industry between from the 60's to the 90's: basically everything that is done by Ibañez or similar artists, like Mortadelo y Filemón, 13 Rue del Percebe, Superlópez.... Don't know about a website in particular, but if you google the query in Spanish there are many.

For Japanese:

- Mangadex is a great place for any manga (if you like to surf the Caribbean with an eye-patch). I don't really read anything else outside of Dragon Ball, One Piece or Detective Conan, and I do so in Chinese mostly. In either language those manga seem to have a rather simple vocabulary, so you shouldn't have much trouble... even at lower levels (used to read them as a kid as well).

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, xinoxanu said:

don't really read anything else outside of Dragon Ball, One Piece or Detective Conan, and I do so in Chinese mostly.

They have a Chinese version of Dragon Ball and other Shonen animes?!?? Mind Blown.  Where did you go for that?

45 minutes ago, roddy said:

Never read them myself, but heard good things about the Asterix Spanish editions

Thanks ! I'll check it out

Just now, TheWind said:

They have a Chinese version of Dragon Ball and other Shonen animes?!?? Mind Blown.  Where did you go for that?

Of course, many of the popular/old style animes are even dubbed in Mandarin (you can find them in Youku/Iqiyi/QQ), although the sound/video quality is mono or crappy at best for most. 

As per manga, I usually read them in Chinese instead of English/French/Spanish because it's the fastest translation out there. Just google/baidu/bing the manga name + chapter + chinese and you'll get many Chinese scanlation websites.

• Like 1