Chinese-Forums

Some confusion around a survey translation, help appreciated

永鈞

I know an American girl studying in Taiwan and her professor helped her translate a survey she designed into Chinese so Taiwanese university students could take the survey. 

the issue is that some of her Taiwanese classmates find the questions confusing. Here’s the part they have difficulty understanding:

A.與我的親密伴侶進行保險套使用協商讓我感到尷尬。Negotiating condom use with my intimate partner  would make me feel embarrassed

B. 與我的親密伴侶協商使用保險套會使我的親密伴侶感到尷尬。 Negotiating condom use with my intimate partner  would make my intimate partner feel embarrassed

C. 我會在酒精影響下發生性行為。 I would engage in sexual activity while I'm under the influence of alcohol

D. 我會與在酒精影響下之親密伴侶發生性行為。 I would engage in sexual activity while my intimate partner  is under the influence of alcohol

One of her classmates  said 「有些題目先問自己、再問親密伴侶,但文字太像讓人以為題目重複」. The issue is that A and B are too similar and that C and D are too similar, according to these people at least.

I said I’d  help her take a look but I’m not sure how to change it to make it clearer, especially for A and B. For C and D maybe the word order could be changed to make it clearer.

or does anyone think that her Taiwanese classmates are being pedantic and it’s fine as it is?

(I know it isn’t very colloquial sounding Chinese, but her professor wants it to read as more formal/academic)

This is my attempt to make the statements more distinctive but I worry that purposively making them stand out from each other will lead to confusion haha

C stays the same 

A. 與親密伴侶協商使用保險套的時候,我會感到尷尬。

B. 我認為,親密伴侶協商使用保險套,讓他感到尷尬。

C. 我會在酒精影響下發生性行為。

D. 我會在親密伴侶受酒精影響時,與他發生性行為。

Even in English you have to read it two or three times.

Structure it like this:

I find asking to use a condom difficult because:

A. I find it embarrassing.

B. I`m afraid my partner will find it embarrassing.

C. Both A and B.

D. Other (please describe).

• Like 1