Chinese-Forums

New online "at home" HSK exam dates: Oct & Dec 2020

mungouk

New online "at home" HSK exam dates have just been announced for 31 October and 12 December:

http://www.chinesetest.cn/gonewcontent.do?id=44581484&fbclid=IwAR2KBgwNNiBSrfqchBwM2xKZCEsLg6_MRpf8FwgfdxCyw6IASFNJCuYDN4U

The software looks like it will be the same as in the last batch of exams back in May and June.  See the earlier thread for more information.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Hi, 

Thanks!

Received an email from the Confucius Institute at Cleveland State University. They'll be running the exam in October, but I find the fees quite expensive.
If you have any information about other centres running it in October, it would be nice to share :)

Thank you

Kenza

@lulu2064 reported taking the at-home test with the Confucius Institute at UNC Charlotte in May, so you could ask them if they're running them again?

How much is "quite expensive"?

For the at-home HSK 4 that I took in the UK in June (University of Nottingham) I paid £40 — about USD 50.   They were charging about £10 higher for each level I think.

Same here, in the UK.  Also the client software doesn't connect... just sits there with a white screen, so I guess the system is down just now.

I have a copy of the original ZIP file with the software in, although it's no use until the system comes back up.

Here's a copy on WeTransfer, available for 7 days: https://we.tl/t-SIEqcyDrkS

This was scanned with AVG and declared clean, plus I was using it daily in June. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kouch said:

I contacted them but they told me that I'm not allowed to take the exam as I don't live in Germany...

Has someone experienced that before?

I suppose this is a very weak attempt at security...?

The tests all seem to be organised according to local time,  9am for HSK 2, 4, 6 and 1.30pm for HSK 1, 3, 5. 

So for example if you're in the US but doing a test at 9am in Germany that would mean you could take it again — or maybe advise a friend on the contents — at 9am local time in the US.

1 minute ago, kouch said:

I actually want to attend the test at the same time as everyone.

Yes, but if you do that then you will have advance knowledge of the test in the US, when it finally comes around at 9am local time... you see?

@mungouk But all the people who will attend this 9am exam will also have advance knowledge, whether it's me or them doesn't make a different, right?

I live in Qatar, where there's just 1 hour of difference with Germany.
If the test is at 9am is Germany, I'll make sure I'm connected at 10am here to join the exam.

Does that make sense ?

Kenza

Ah I assumed you were in the US since you were talking about the Cleveland CI.

In any case, I think this is the reason for the "rule" that you have to be in the same country where the test is conducted.  (Also same timezone!?)

This is all my assumption.

I’ve emailed basically every Confucius institute in the UK running the session in December and they all told me that I should be in UK to take the test.

For those who did take the test on may, is there any kind of location check on the day of the test? Maybe they have access to that information through their software? Or even during the inscription? If it’s only on the test day I’m actually considering using a vpn...