Chinese-Forums

Jung Chang's books in simplified chinese ?

daxia

Hey all

I have been looking for 2 books by the famous writer "Jung Chang". I think her chinese name is "张戎".

The books I am looking for are Mao - The unknown story (毛泽东:不为人知的故事)

and Wild Swans (三代中国女人的故事)

Theese books are banned in China and almost imposible to get a hold of over there. They are released in TaiWan and HongKong though, but they dont use simplified characters over there, right ?

Does anyone here know any site where you can order theese 2 books, the simplified character versions. I have been trying my self but my chinese is not good enough. (Theese books are for my chinese girlfriend)

Thanks in advance

Be careful, King Prawn, don't get your girlfriend into trouble if she is from mainland China. I saw the English translation yesterday with some disturbing pictures portraying the cultural revolution, not sure, if this kind of stuff could be legal in China.

Well it's banned, so that probably means it's not legal. I think I read somewhere (on this forum?) that there is a pirate simplified Chinese version, but as it's illegal it's probably not for sale online.

Anatoli: the English version is the original, the Chinese is translated from the English.

My Girlfriend can read traditional characters, although not very good. I'm sure there is a simplified one outside china somewhere. Maybe there is a simplified version in TaiWan or HongKong. The problem is that most taiwan sites are in chinese, and Im not good enough to understand what I am doing.

And yes, both books are illegal in China. I am pretty sure that I wont get caught. I have been living there for a few years and it's not like the police makes razzias in your apartment.

If you're living in China, maybe it's easier to buy it on the street, there are people selling banned books (sometimes at metro exits, but also at other places). It might be easier than trying to find a Taiwanese edition in simplified, if that even exists.