Chinese-Forums

Xbox Series S/X

Auditor

• New Members

I want to buy new xbox series in China. What problems will I face with Chinese version of console? I want to play single-player games. What's with download speed, localization and purchasing games? Is here anyone who use Xbox in China?

Never used an Xbox, so I'm not sure if my experience will be very helpful, but I used to have PS4 in China for over a year, it worked perfectly well, didn't have any connection problems, used to play multiplayer and use US PSN all the time. If i remember correctly I bought the Hong Kong version of the console, so if possible I would recommend you do the same. 

I have some friends who used Xbox One in China and didn't report any problems. Just make sure that when you buy it it doesn't have a region-lock or anything like that. 

Back in the 360 days, Xbox was the best console to get in China because it was easily hackable, and most Chinese stores sold Xbox 360s prehacked with copied games. These systems could play games from any region.

These days are long gone.

I don't know what is going to happen for Xbox Series S/X, but Xbox One was completely region locked in China. (Chinese consoles can't play non-Chinese market games, and Non-Chinese consoles can't play Chinese market games; this is for hardcopies, I would assume that for digital, the consoles can't access the other store's online services either, but I'm actually not sure.)

PS4's region lock used to be trivial. It didn't affect hard-copies at all, and even for digital marketplaces, it was possible to access a non-Chinese marketplace by reflashing the foreign firmware on the PS4. Back in May or so there was a big closedown of the Chinese PSN store, where they made an update to patch out this workaround. I don't know how it works today.

Depending on where you live, it might be possible to buy a HK system even in China, but expect to pay more money especially on a recently released console.

5 hours ago, Takeshi said:

Chinese consoles can't play non-Chinese market games, and Non-Chinese consoles can't play Chinese market games; this is for hardcopies, I would assume that for digital, the consoles can't access the other store's online services either, but I'm actually not sure

Not sure of the situation right now, but I know someone back in 2016 who bought the original Xbox One, Chinese version, and they were able to play some imported Hong Kong games. In fact they openly sell them without a hint of shame at Computer City in Chengdu (the place to go for anything techie). Multiplayer was not working tho, but I don't know if it was due to a lack of servers/people or a restriction.

I also logged in with my old Xbox 360 account from back in the day and I was able to use it, but we couldn't access the European store. IIRC I looked online and you had to either have a VPN at router level or route the connection via a proxy first from inside the Xbox itself.

Also, the console was only in Chinese, no way to choose another language, but imported games came with their own set of languages.

PS: OP, if you are still checking the answers in the thread, things is that nobody can't really give you a straight answer to your question because that particular model hasn't been released yet. You should wait for a Chinese review before buying anything... pre-ordering something in 2020 is sooo 2007.