Chinese-Forums

Help with translating a Chinese sentence into English

Kenny同志

Hi folks,

I am sorry for coming here for help so frequently but I do not know of any better place.

Anyway, I find this sentence particularly difficult to put into English. Could you give me some feedback on my translation? I would appreciate it very much if any of you could point out the mistakes (if any) in my translation or give me advice on how I can improve it. Thanks.

By the way, this Chinese sentence may be flawed from a scientific point of view: when plastic bottles have been decomposed (分解), they would be reduced to monomers which in most cases are gaseous at room temperature, such as ethylene, propylene, and ethyl ester.  How such gaseous matters can be extruded and drawn into filaments is a mystery to me.

将不同颜色的废旧塑料瓶分门别类地整理好,仔细去掉商标和污渍,经过碾压成颗粒和分解之后,在化纤车间经过高温挤压喷丝就变成了涤纶短纤维,最后在纺纱车间被纺成涤纶纱。

To make polyester staple fibre, which can then be spun into yarn in the spinning workshop, used plastic bottles need to be sorted based on their colours, thoroughly cleaned (including removing their trademarks), and then ground into fine scraps. Such small plastic pieces are then melted at high temperature, extruded and drawn into filaments at the fibre workshop.

I think 分解 is the issue. In this process the bottles get broken down into flakes, then pellets, then melted, but there's no change in the chemical make-up. New usage of staple for me there, always useful...

商标 here - is that just the labels? Presumable a logo actually embossed into the plastic will be destroyed during the rest of the process? 

17 minutes ago, Kenny同志 said:

I am sorry for coming here for help so frequently but I do not know of any better place.

Also, there's no need to apologise. Ask for help as much as you want. 

• Helpful 1

I can see why you're reversed the order but it's made you repeat the bit about the spinning workshop. Would the 商标 be better translated as labelling here? - "waste plastic bottles are sorted by colour, any labelling or dirt is carefully removed, then they are ground into fine granules..." maybe. Then "these are then made into polyester staples by extrusion at high temperatures in the 化纤车间" then "Finally..."

• Helpful 1

3 hours ago, Tomsima said:

Also 'such' feels quite Chinese to me, but then removing it requires reordering clauses.

Using "These" instead of "such" would work and flows better IMHO.

Also I agree granules is better than scraps.

• Helpful 1