Chinese-Forums

Any tea lovers here?

thelearninglearner

Nongfu water is fine. It is pH controlled and free of extraneous chemicals that can affect taste.

An inexpensive electric water kettle is handy. No knobs or  adjustments; just an on/off switch. One liter capacity. Under ¥100。

As to a teapot, just buy one at Walmart. Preferably white ceramic or clear glass. (Avoid colors since they obscure the color of the tea.) Under ¥100。

454761049_whitepotrest.thumb.PNG.46be7592b524b76bb3e6df65904982ca.PNG

974365248_waterkettle948.thumb.jpg.a2c4dc0def4d179a421c467a16c48768.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recommend Gong Fu style. A gaiwan 盖碗 for brewing(also very cheap), fill it basically full of tea , lots of short (3 to 10 seconds)infusions. So a lot more tea and far shorter brewing time than you are probably used to. This is quite fun imo, and the tea is great.

12-58-55-055.jpg

IMG_20201024_130341.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/23/2020 at 11:49 PM, suMMit said:

I recommend Gong Fu style. A gaiwan 盖碗 for brewing(also very cheap), fill it basically full of tea , lots of short (3 to 10 seconds)infusions. So a lot more tea and far shorter brewing time than you are probably used to. This is quite fun imo, and the tea is great.

Yes, I agree! That's another excellent way to brew a cup of tea! I use my gaiwan just about every day. When making tea just for myself, it is easier than using a teapot. 

The main thing I try to stress for newcomers to the world of Chinese tea is to not get bogged down in a long and complex "equipment quest." Buy some decent loose leaf tea and begin enjoying it. Add equipment little by little to advance the project. Avoid the urge to get sidetracked. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 889 said:

Am I the only one who hates those things? They're awkward to hold when full of boiling water, that lip shape doesn't make for comfortable drinking, and I always seem to get some tea leaves stuck in my front teeth.

you drink straight out of those? I am going to need to look up a video for how to use it then. seems like, as you said, it's really hard to hold when hot. but I do want to try it out.

• Like 2

you dont drink from a gaiwan. you strain the tea off into a sharing pitcher, and then pour off into small cups. As ABCDEFG said, it does require more "stuff". 889 may hate it, to each thier own. I find it a very relaxing and enjoyable way to enjoy tea. Somehow you feel more involved in the process. I also love the design of them and the tea aroma of a freshly emptied gaiwan when the lid is lifed can be fantastic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, abcdefg said:

Congratulations! What kind of tea did you get? 

Gongmei white tea 贡眉.  Specifically, the Gongmei from Jianyang, Fujian 建阳 as suggested earlier in the thread. After some reading, white tea seems the most interesting to me. Taobao had a lot to choose from, but I felt safest going with the recommendation first

• Like 1