Chinese-Forums

Help needed with volunteer translation into Chinese

Lu

Can I humbly ask everyone's help with a translation into Chinese? My dad, who is a member of the local Rotary club, has a very nice idea to raise money for polio vaccinations (see below). He wants to roll out the idea internationally and asked me to make a Chinese translation, so he can contact Taiwanese clubs. He and my mom visited me when I was living in Taiwan and met a Rotary member there, so he would like to use and grow that connection.

Problem is that my written Chinese is bad (see below). I explained this to him, but he insists that it will still be helpful and also he is proud that his daughter knows Chinese and can contribute. So I said alright. Nobody involved is getting paid, it's all volunteer work for charity.

I'll post the English version in spoiler tags and then my translation. Any and all suggestions on the Chinese are welcome. I have my dad's permission to share the text.

Spoiler

Dear....,

I am a member of the Rotary Club in [town], the Netherlands, and have an idea for collecting money in the fight to eradicate polio.

Soon, the government will start a vaccination programme to protect the population against COVID-19. It is only a matter of time before a viable vaccine is developed, and there is probably already a manual for how to run the vaccination drive. The location will probably be a sports hall or another large venue where everybody can keep sufficient distance.

My idea is to ask people who have just been vaccinated and are leaving the venue for a small donation (1 or 2 euros) to support the fight against polio, which is one of Rotary International's longest standing and most significant efforts. The Rotary could set up a stand manned by several volunteers who approach people for a donation when they leave.

I expect that the Corona vaccine will be offered free of charge. If this fundraiser is done on a national and maybe even international scale, the small donations would, together, amount to a significant sum. Rotary clubs would not, as with many projects, have to ask for sponsoring from local businesses or friends and family. The funds would be raised by the wider population.

The public relations will be very important. For example, use of press releases and promotion through social media. Cooperation will have to be sought from the public health agency responsible for the vaccination drive. This agency will also need to be convinced that the Rotary can organise the fundraiser in a COVID-proof manner.

We have successful experience with a similar inoculation campaign. In 2002 the Netherlands held a large vaccine drive amongst youth for meningitis. We approached people for a small donation after their vaccination. About 40 Rotary clubs took part, and we raised more than €100,000. An amount that we could easily surpass this time!

I would love to hear what you think of my idea and also if you have ideas or see an opportunity to share this plan with other clubs and inspire them to take part.

Maybe this could also be picked up in your country? A COVID-19 vaccine is not yet ready, but I think that it would be a good idea for the Rotary to start its preparations. Maybe your country has a polio coordinator you could contact?

Kind regards,

[Name], district [number], The Nederlands

My translation:

... 您好,

我是荷蘭[town]國際扶輪社的社員,想到一種很好的辦法為脊髓灰質炎疫苗募捐.項目如下:

最近,各國政府會開始自己的疫苗項目,為了保護他們不得新冠狀病.我們目前都在等待有效的疫苗.貴國政府一定已經有策略實施疫苗計畫.具體的疫苗應該會發生在體育館或類似較大的建築,因為大家需要保持一定的距離.

我在想,要不我們趁這個機會向剛受疫苗,從疫苗樓出來請募捐(小數額就可以)為了國際扶輪社已多年有關係的脊髓灰質炎疫苗項目.為了這個目標,當地的扶輪社可以建帳篷,請幾名扶輪社員向每名已受疫苗的人請募捐.

新冠狀病毒疫苗應該會是免費的.如果我們國際扶輪社不僅在[town]鎮,不僅在荷蘭,但在世界各國都做,很多人的小數額捐贈一起會是大數目.跟國際扶輪社的很多項目不一樣,在這個項目扶輪社不用向認識的企業請贊助,也不用向親戚朋友請募捐.实收款项全來自民眾.

舉辦這個項目時,公關很重要.需要發新聞發布並用Facebook等社交媒體.當然,也要和各國的有關部門合作.有關部門要放心本地的國際扶輪社會把募捐舉辦地安全,不讓民眾得病毒.

我們已經有經驗實施類似疫苗項目.2002年,荷蘭舉辦了年輕人腦膜炎疫苗項目.我們向受疫苗的人請募捐.40幾團本地國際扶輪社參加,收額為十萬歐元以上!這次項目,我相信可以收集更多!

希望聽您對這個主義的想法,也希望您願意把這個項目的計畫分享跟其他國際扶輪社.我希望台灣國內也可以實施.

新冠狀病毒疫苗還沒完整,但我覺得國際扶輪社可以事先準備.

身體健康,一切都好

[Name], [number]區,荷蘭

I know some bits are good, but on the whole it reads like it's written by someone who reads enough but hasn't had any writing training in years. It's fine if the translation is free in places, this is a letter aimed to enthuse the Taiwanese Rotary people for the plan.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

• Like 2

For something person-to-person like this, I think foreigner-sounding Chinese is more than appropriate. It shows the sender put a lot of time into it, didn't just pay for a polished translation or use Google.

Like serving a home-cooked meal: the effort's more important than the taste.

So fix up anything major and send it out.

• Like 2

@889 I agree, and sending out a less-than-perfect letter also signals that perhaps they should reply in English or in easy Chinese. But I do want to fix major mistakes.

@Kenny同志  Not sure what the deadline is, but there is no immediate rush. In a few days should be fine. No need to completely rewrite, in fact I think it might be better if it's not as smooth and beautiful as you would write it.

• Like 1

My attempt: 

敬啟者:
If you need to address a specific person, you can also say ‘某某先生/女士惠鑑:’

本人是荷蘭【Town】扶輪社社員。扶輪社致力消滅脊髓灰質炎多年。本人身為社員,於募集此病疫苗資金之事,有一方案,經在荷蘭行之,收效甚良。為惠及更多兒童,茲不揣冒昧,致書閣下。

不久,貴國政府為防國民感染肺疫(COVID-19),勢必開展人群接種。肺疫疫苗何時研製成功,只是早晚問題,但關於如何開展接種,政府多半早已訂好計劃。為便民眾接種時能彼此保持足夠間距,接種地點多會選在體育館之類的寬敞場所。

抗擊脊髓灰質炎一事,扶輪社致力已久。若政府組織集中接種肺疫疫苗,我想,我們是否可以藉此機會,在民眾接種完畢離場之際請其為消滅脊髓灰質炎捐款一兩歐元呢?屆時,扶輪社可設一攤位,請義工駐守。人群接種完畢,離場經過攤位時,義工向其募捐即可。

肺疫疫苗政府料將免費提供 (can be deleted as it is irrelevant)。所謂聚水成川,匯河成海,脊髓灰質炎的募捐活動倘能在一國甚至多國開展,所募之款合計起來定將可觀。屆時,由於捐款人數龐大,如同扶輪社的許多其他項目,抗擊脊髓灰質炎的項目就不用再向企業和親友等請求贊助。

公共關係需特別重視。譬如,扶輪社頗需利用社交媒體發布新聞稿和宣傳文案,並取得肺疫疫苗接種主事衛生部門的首肯。此外,扶輪社還需拿出妥善的防疫方案,保證募捐活動不會造成肺疫散播,以令主事衛生部門放心。

此前,我們藉人群集中接種之機,嘗試了此一方法,收效甚佳。二〇〇二年,荷蘭大舉為本國少年接種腦膜炎疫苗,約四十家扶輪社藉機向接種少年開展小額募捐,募得資金合計逾十萬歐元。若為消滅脊髓灰質炎能在台開展此類募捐,所募資金料將輕易超過此數。

不知閣下對此募資方案持何看法?望祈見示。倘閣下認為此一方案可行,而將其告知他社,引起他社之興趣,則功莫大焉。

Maybe this could also be picked up in your country? (didn't get this)
目前,肺疫疫苗尚未研製成功,但扶輪社早作準備,不失為良策。或許,貴國有負責脊髓灰質炎事宜的專員,閣下可與商議此事?

專此

Hope this helps. 

• Helpful 3

Thank you Kenny! That's a beautiful letter. I just looked it over and sent it off to my dad. I admit I changed a few 閣下 to 您, I hope that's okay.

The phrase 'Maybe this could also be picked up in your country?' means that my dad hopes that the plan can also be borrowed, used and implemented (ie, picked up) in the recepient's country. I just left the sentence out, because that is basically already said in the previous paragraph.

• Like 1