Chinese-Forums

General curriculum for BA Chinese language

Pizzamaster

For those who have done a BA in Chinese language, are your courses only based on learning Mandarin, or are there compulsory or optional courses for Math/other subjects as well? It's hard to find curriculums online so I figured I'd ask to get a general idea.

It depends very much on where you are studying and what you want to do. I was able to do some courses off the curriculum but needed a certain amount of points at 100 level, 200 level and 300 level that were approved Chinese courses. Most universities prefer students to take some courses from outside the degree because it is said to give a more 'well rounded' student. Here's an example of a current course structure requirement from where I graduated;

https://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/learning/programme-course/programme.cfm?prog_id=93118&major_code=PCHNS&study_year=2021#

Then click on 'Courses and Planning'.

Here's a list of courses offered this year through both internal and distance learning;

https://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/learning/programme-course/course.cfm?key_word=chinese&menuLocation=&menuCollege=&menuSemester=&menuLevel=&menuMode=&menuSubject=&study_year=2021&withContactCourse=0&withoutContactCourse=0&action=show_results&submit=Search&bSubmit=Search

Hope this helps.

There are the standard Chinese language courses, like level 1 to level 5. Then there were more specialized courses such as Chinese Business, Modern Chinese Literature, Chinese Philosophy, Chinese linguistics etc. 

• 4 weeks later...

The main reason I asked is because I had come across this : https://www.china-admissions.com/tianjin-international-chinese-college-2/preparatory-university-program-ticc/

And I am NOT interested in having to remember anything about physics or chemistry at all haha!

This is the preparatory year in the program, so I was wondering if the BA in Chinese language had these kids of mandatory classes.

Courses

Language Course

Fundamental Chinese: Comprehensive Chinese, Spoken Chinese, Chinese Communication Training, Chinese Reading, Chinese Character and Chinese Writing

Academic Chinese: Medical Chinese, Scientific Chinese, Engineering Chinese, and Business Chinese

Academic Course: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Ancient Chinese and Computer Engineering

Culture Course: Chinese Culture, Social Profiles in Chinese, Intercultural Communication, Chinese Culture Classes and Culture Seminars

Language Practice: Social Practice and Internship