Chinese-Forums

DouLang - anyone knows this band?

diff

Hi,

I took a cab recently in Beijing and the driver listened to some pretty cool music. I asked him what it was and he said the band's name was "Dou1 Lang2". At least, this is what I understood.

I was in a hurry so I didn't ask him which characters it were - and so, here I am: does anyone know how to write their name in Chinese? They could be from Xinjiang, as their music sounded a little bit... turkish... But I could very well be wrong on that one, as well.

So... anyone who can offer any help?

Best regards,

Dan

Yeah, It has to be 刀郎. His music is influenced by Xinjiang/Uighur music, but he isn't from Xinjiang himself (I think he is from Chengdu, correct me someone if I'm wrong). It is actually only one guy going by the name Dao Lang, not a group, and he took the name from a particular style of Xinjiang music, which he sort of commercialized and made popular in the past year or so. If you like Dao Lang, I suggest checking out 艾尔肯 (Arken),who is an actual Uighur, and whose music blows Dao Lang's out of the water in my opinion. Many of Arken's songs are sung in Uighur and some are traditional NW China folk songs, while others are songs he's written himself.

Doa1 Lang2 has a really good voice because I have heard him singing on/in t'v before. He sang with Alan Tam once in HK. That song that they sang together, was a really good song, one of my favourite songs.

Well if I'am thinking of the right person, the right Guy, that you ppl are talking about, if it is not the right person oh well ! :-?:-?:) .....

Hi,

thank you so much! You really hit the jackpot... :)

I've found 刀郎's CDs already, 艾尔肯 's CDs seem to be not that widely available. Any hints on where to look for them in Beijing?

Also, can you recommend any other artists that are "special" - not that kind of Supergirls-dull-headache-provoking stuff?

Cheers,

Dan