Chinese-Forums

Looking for Free Online Resources

Raxx

• New Members

Hi all,

I am a 18 year old girl who is Chinese American. I was born and raised here in the USA, and I grew up speaking and listening to Mandarin Chinese from my parents and relatives. I can speak fluently, but I never was taught how to read or write in Chinese. I can read a lot more than I can write, and what I can read is still extremely basic characters. I would like to read and write as well as I can speak and listen.

Does anyone have any resource recommendations for someone like me?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Raxx said:

I can read a lot more than I can write,

and what I can read is still extremely basic characters

I've only been learning to read and write since June. I can read all the characters so far up to HSK3 600 or so words/characters, (plus other ones I've learned from reading and writing in wechat/HT etc....  but writing is a different matter. I could from memory perhaps on;y be able to write about 40 or 50, but roughly 'sketch' most of the others.

2nd part, extremely basic characters?, you mean common ones, or ones you can both read and write, because they are basic?

Personally, right now I would rather not learn to remember how to write characters (I'd rather do that later on, when I can speak and understand/ AND read), however, need to for tests.

6 minutes ago, SunnySideUp said:

'd recommend the app "tofu learn." You can systematically learn how to read and write (recognition vs. writing). There are even premade word lists (=decks) you can choose from. It's free, so you can try it out and see if it's for you. 

Yes, I agree.

I have been using this since June.

I like the new feature where when you click on 'flipcard' it now shows you how to write the character in a gif type moving image.

If this was merged with Pleco, it could be the best app ever!

I would love to be able to look words up on tofu.

At the moment, I'm doing 500 a day, as HSK3 in 10 days. My own rule is, if I can't read the word/character in less than a second, then I write it down (as I am also learning to write)... I fond I get quicker every day, as I get stuck on the same ones a few times, but once written and taken the time to write, I remember       for next time.

• Like 1

Just now, Shelley said:

500 what a day? words? Characters? 

How are you learning 500 a day of anything?

Sorry if I sound incredulous, but I am 

oh no, sorry!!

Considering I am English, my English is terrible! haha!! I am just writing casually,

No, I was referring to the tofu site, and flashcards.

I'm using the sets for HSK1 2 and 3. So I've set it to 100 flashcards in a session, and do 5 lots of it in the day (because exam on 12th,. and my reading isn't quick enough because I'll find a word in the reading tests that I can't remember and this amounts to lots of time!!).

5 minutes ago, Shelley said:

@TaxiAsh How long does it take you to do this?

sorry Shelley, do what? Which part are you referring to?

If you mean the tofu 100 flashcards, then I would say,

I give myself 1 second recognise the word (not necessarily how to say it) because at the moment, I am practicing reading speeds,and when reading you don't need to speak of course! (same as reading English! haha)

then I have to look for one of 6 possible answers, which takes maybe 2 or 3 seconds,

so, in total if I get 100 correct, and no mistakes, takes about 5 minutes each time. I also flip cards, if I don't know a word is used in context, and read the example sentences...

however in real life, I probab;y get 5 wrong or press wrong button each time, so perhaps 10 mins  on average to do this 100 flashcard test.

(as I say, and important point, I learning reading at the moment, but can do the same thing and read each out loud to test tones, but i don't need this until after exam, as I won't be speaking)

4 minutes ago, Shelley said:

Wow, either I am very slow or I am not understanding exactly what you are doing.

no, I'm sure it's me!

tofu flashcards are to practice either reading or speaking or writing, or combination

however, the speaking part doesn't interest me at moment, because, I am studying for HSK3 and speaking isn't part of it...

I am trying to read faster, because I keep failing this part in the mock tests, I can't read quick enough, I keep coming across a couple of characters that I recognise,. but can't remember the meaning.

Oh ok, is it simply meaning you are going for? If so I guess you could get through that many.

I have always believed in studying all the parts together from the start or very near the start of learning. So speaking, listening (and understanding) reading and writing. So it takes me much longer to thoroughly learn each character.

Hope it goes well for your HSK3.

• Like 1

Look up the four hundred most common Chinese characters and rote learn them and get the stroke order right.

Then lots of Karaoke and a dictionary. The most common words will come up frequently in different songs. Definitely useful for parties.

Grab a menu from a Chinese restaurant. A fully Chinese one. Learn how to order food by reading off the menu. 

• Like 2

Try an app like Hello Chinese, ChineseSkill, or LingoDeer. These apps are made for English-speaking learners and there probably contain a lot of things you already know. But still, they can help you learn how to read and write in Chinese. Another nice option for learning to write in Chinese is Skritter (not free but they have a free trial).

• 1 month later...

Since you already can speak, I recommend John DeFrancis' Beginning Chinese Reader for learning to read.  It introduces ten characters at a time, then 30-40 new words you can make with the characters introduced so far, then ~10 pages of reading practice using only those characters (once you're midway into the book).  I think this approach is far better than most textbooks for learning to read. The one problem with it is that the vocabulary is terribly out of date.  But since you already know how to speak, you'll know which words are no longer in fashion.  I'd pair this with a spaced repetition flashcard app (the one at orangeorapple.com is very easy to use, I forget the name in the app store).  If you decide to go that way and want ready-made flash cards, I can share mine.