Chinese-Forums

Syllabus for Medical Chinese Test (MCT) Officially Released

mungouk

Oddly, I've only seen this so far on Facebook, posted by the official HSK account... there doesn't appear to be new info on chinesetest.cn

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=195385628842346&id=107674817613428

Syllabus for Medical Chinese Test (MCT) Officially Released: Introduction, Level Standards, Topic, Task and Vocabulary Lists

In recent years, medical education programs and degrees have become more and more popular among international students, and have become the most popular majors with the largest number of international students in China.

In order to meet the needs of Chinese communication in the process of professional knowledge learning and clinical practice, and to improve the quality of international medical education in China, Center for Language Education and Cooperation, Chinese Testing International Co., Ltd., together with the medical Chinese teaching experts, scholars and teachers in top medical colleges and universities in China, developed the Medical Chinese Test (hereinafter referred to as MCT). The development of MCT is of great significance to the improvement and development of international Chinese test system, and it is also a beneficial attempt to "Chinese + vocational education".

To help teachers and students understand the content of the test, 《Medical Chinese Test (MCT) Syllabus》was officially released by an expert team composed of Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Tianjin Medical University, Dalian Medical University, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine and other institutions, providing scientific guidance for teaching and test preparation.

?What is Medical Chinese Test?

Medical Chinese Test (MCT) is a standardized language test that examines the application level of medical Chinese.

MCT is mainly for international medical students, students who study medicine in Chinese outside of China, and medical staff whose first language is not Chinese, but use Chinese for clinical diagnosis and treatment in China or abroad, etc., to examine their ability to communicate in Chinese with patients, medical staff and related personnel.

On October 9, 2019, the Medical Chinese Test Work Conference was held at Tianjin Medical University. 126 representatives from 52 universities across the country who are engaged in the education of international medical students gathered in Tianjin to witness the launch of MCT.

During the meeting, 17 colleges and universities including Peking University Health Science Center, Fudan University, Tongji University, Zhejiang University, Tianjin Medical University, Dalian Medical University, Southern Medical University, Lanzhou University were awarded the qualifications of MCT test center.

?Nearly a thousand international students became the first batch of candidates for MCT

On December 15, 2019, MCT was officially opened nationwide. Nearly 1,000 international medical major students from Anhui Medical University, Southern Medical University, Tianjin Medical University, Nanjing Medical University, Kunming Medical University, Wuhan University, Fudan University, Sichuan University, Zhejiang University, etc. become the first batch of candidates for MCT.

Ali, an international student from Chad, was studying clinical medicine at Kunming Medical University. In order to get good results in the test, he started to review the medical Chinese courses under the guidance of the teacher one month in advance. "Through this period of study, I have not only consolidated my medical knowledge, but also appreciated the beauty of Chinese, which is of great help to my career."

After the test, Luther from Pakistan said, “There was a dialogue between doctors and patients, which was very similar to the situation we encountered when we went to the hospital for internship. The writing part was about writing medical records and prescriptions, which was really practical and every doctor has to do that. "

Su Ya, an Indian student studying at Southern Medical University, was doing an internship at the outpatient department of the Third Affiliated Hospital of Southern Medical University before taking the test. What worries her most during the internship was that when patients saw that the doctor was a "foreign doctor", he would ask to change a doctor. "Maybe they think they can't communicate with me. So I think it's important to learn medical Chinese. If I can communicate with them fluently in Chinese, they will trust me more."

Chen Jun, Dean of International Education School of Southern Medical University, said that MCT provides a communication platform for medical colleges and universities across the country to discuss and solve the problems of improving the quality of medical Chinese teaching and the training of foreign students.

Han Fei, Dean of International Medicine School, Tianjin Medical University, said that the professionalism of clinicians includes a variety of abilities, among which the most important one is the ability to communicate effectively with patients, medical staff, etc. Medical schools are obliged to teach international students to communicate in Chinese. Therefore, the launch of MCT is a milestone for international medical education in China.

Liu Yafei, deputy director of the Teaching and Research Office of Chinese as a Foreign Language, Fujian Medical University, said that MCT will greatly promote the quality of education for international medical students and the effect of clinical practice. It will help cultivate more international knowledgeable medical workers.

?Medical Chinese Test (MCT) syllabus content

At the end of November 2020, 《Medical Chinese Test (MCT) Syllabus》was officially published. The syllabus is composed of test introduction, level standards, topic lists, task lists, medical professional vocabulary lists, sample papers, etc.

MCT consists of three parts: listening, reading, and writing. The language competence level is determined based on the test taker’s score. The competence level is divided into three levels. The syllabus introduces the overall language competence description and language skills description of each level in detail, which provides a reference for learners and teachers to accurately locate the level and understand the learning goals.

The topic lists are based on communication topics, such as "doctor-to-doctor", "doctor-to-patient" communication, etc., combining medical Chinese teaching and professional teaching, highlighting the uniqueness of medical Chinese, and achieving the goal of coordinated development of medical Chinese ability and medical professional recognition.

The task lists set a series of specific and operable language communication tasks, such as medical history collection, physical examination, disease diagnosis, etc., to guide learners to "learn by doing" and improve their medical Chinese level in the medical communication scene.

The medical vocabulary lists selects 1,500 common and typical medical Chinese vocabulary. In order to make it easy to use, the part-of-speech and pronunciation of each word are marked, and the tone variation of each word is also marked, in combination with the practice of part-of-speech tagging of modern Chinese words and the particularity of medical Chinese vocabulary.

To provide users with the most intuitive test reference, the sample paper selected the first MCT test paper. The listening material text and audio materials are provided, and reference answers are also attached, in order to facilitate the examinees to review and train in a targeted manner.

The 2021 MCT will be held in May and November. If you are interested, don’t forget to prepare in advance!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mungouk said:

The 2021 MCT will be held in May and November. If you are interested, don’t forget to prepare in advance!

Thanks for posting this! ??

Do you guys know any resources (in electronic form) to prepare for this (books, medical course notes, voc lists..)?

Do keep us posted if you get any updates on it!

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 9:16 AM, mikelove said:

I can digitize it for Pleco

Cool.  All the Chinese learners I know eventually move to Pleco as their top source as a dictionary.  In a learning group I attend, we all like the many choices Pleco gives for a word and other aspects of it as well.  I work in the health sciences field, so I'll particularly appreciate your effort with mungouk's topic.  

• Like 1