Chinese-Forums

Early English Songs in China

songuy

• New Members

I need help compiling a list of early songs that were allowed in China, and that became popular throughout the 90s.

things in the same category and popularity as:

El Condor Pasa

Yesterday Once More

More than I Can Say

Sealed with a Kiss 

Tennessee Waltz

Before the Next Teardrop Falls

etc

Any help of any songs you remember would be greatly appreciated

There was an "Oscar" album that was immensely popular in the late 90s. It had songs from Oscar winning movies including Titanic. On more than one occasion they would slip it in the CD player seemingly for my laowai benefit when I walked into a cafe.   Of course, as you mentioned "Yesterday Once More" was the long reigning champion for many years.  Some other songs I remember hearing in the 90s in China that many seemed to be familiar with:

1. Take Me Home, Country Roads by John Denver (an easy #2 after the Carpenters' hit)

2. Hotel California - the Eagles  Every college student with a guitar was banging this out in the 90s. Every cafe cranked it out on a regular basis. I developed a deep seated hate for this song as a result. :D

3. Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel

4. Lemon Tree

5. Love Story movie theme (also on the Oscar songs album)

There was a Don Williams greatest hits album that also got a lot of play back then so I became more familiar with his version of "Fever" than the Peggy Lee one.

• 10 months later...

EDIT: I have a little book called 《The One Hundred And One American Pop Songs 美国流行歌曲101首 (附吉他伴奏)》 published by 上海翻译出版公司 Feb, 1987.  I realized that was probably what the OP meant, so I deleted my previous post.