Chinese-Forums

Best Songs of 2020 playlist

feihong

This looks promising. Except for #36 (  張碧晨《My Way》) these all show up on my YouTube as not-yet-watched, which is rare as I too am an avid listener of Chinese music. I'll be sure to give it a listen.

What's your method of finding new music? YouTube often treats you like a toddler that wants to re-listen to the same song 20 times whenever it recommends you playlists, and Spotify discovery feature is limited to a weekly list (most of which is in no way relevant). Do you use the standalone YouTube Music app perhaps?

2 hours ago, Weyland said:

This looks promising. Except for #36 (  張碧晨《My Way》)

When I read this I assumed it was a cover of the Sinatra song, that wasn't looking promising... ?

Great work @feihong, thanks for sharing!

@Weyland how does youtube show things as "not yet watched"?  I use YT all the time (browser) and have never seen this.

57 minutes ago, mungouk said:

how does youtube show things as "not yet watched"?

image.thumb.png.cd6cc41b0f4ad0122a49893a456fca23.png

It does the opposite, kind of. IIRC YouTube saves the last 500 or so videos you have watched, maybe it's more. It probably is more. I have one of my Google Accounts dedicated to just listening to new Chinese music on YouTube, and when I like a song I add it to a playlist and listen to it again a few weeks later, often with a different headphone, to see whether it's worth adding to my local list.

Like @feihong I'm pretty picky in my music tastes. I can easily listen to a hundred songs and not add a single one to my local playlist. I wonder what @feihong's criteria are for choosing a song. Mine are:

• It needs to have a good BPM, so that if I were to listen to it while exercising (swimming) it doesn't tire me out. Extra points if it switches up the rhythm.
  • It needs to have somewhat of a lengthy refrain so that I don't know the lyrics after just one listen.
  • It can't have too many English words, preferably none at all.
  • Not too nasally or whiny.

11 hours ago, Flickserve said:

4000!

This is very conservative estimate, and doesn't even try to account for all the Chinese songs I passively hear when I'm watching TV with my parents. Basically, I downloaded a bit more than 400 songs in 2020, and I estimate that I download maybe 1 out of 10 songs I listen to. Now, if I were to try to count how many unique songs I heard in 2020, it's for sure a much lower number, since I'm encountering a ton of covers (although I often don't know it's a cover).

8 hours ago, Weyland said:

Do you use the standalone YouTube Music app perhaps?

Not directly, no. Apparently a lot of Chinese tracks on YouTube Music just show up on YouTube as "videos" which is just the album cover on loop.

9 hours ago, Weyland said:

What's your method of finding new music?

I discover music mostly by using the StreetVoice app and watching music reality shows. But there are many other sources now, so I think I'll devote a separate topic to this.

4 hours ago, Weyland said:

I wonder what @feihong's criteria are for choosing a song.

I don't really know how to describe my musical tastes, but this playlist itself is a decent summary of what I'm into. If you listen to the whole thing, maybe you can tell me.

The only thing I can say for sure is that I automatically like almost any song that has "sparkling guitars" or "rolling drums" in it (as you can tell, I'm lacking in the music terminology department). The best example of these motifs on this playlist is 三行情书, which has both.

5 minutes ago, feihong said:

I automatically like almost any song that has "sparkling guitars" or "rolling drums"

So far I'm only halfway through your list, but I certainly noticed it, yeah. I like those to, though for my own playlist I focused heavily on the vocals. What do you think of this song?

deca joins | 海浪

I tend to listen to songs for like 2 minutes, before I made a judgement. In this song the vocals don't start until 2:06, so in most cases I would have skipped over it. Or songs with music videos like this one;

告五人 Accusefive | 披星戴月的想你

Where the music doesn't actually start until 1:35. But then, at 3:00 the music finally hits and it gives a whole different feel to the song.

Also, both of these songs are from 2018, and for that I give my apologies. Haha.

On 1/11/2021 at 1:04 PM, Weyland said:

So far I'm only halfway through your list, but I certainly noticed it, yeah. I like those to, though for my own playlist I focused heavily on the vocals. What do you think of this song?

deca joins | 海浪

I liked the instrumentals but I felt let down by the vocals. Pretty sure I’ve listened to this band’s work on StreetVoice before but I haven’t downloaded any of their songs yet.

I’ve downloaded a number of Accusefive’s songs (including the one you linked to) and I discovered them through StreetVoice.

• 2 weeks later...