Chinese-Forums

一粒苹果

wai ming

Hi everyone,

I've got 2 friends (one from Malaysia, and another from Singapore), who both insist that the correct measure word (量词) for apple (苹果) is 一粒, ie 一粒苹果

My other Chinese-speaking friends disagree, saying that it should be 一个苹果, and arguing that 一粒 is used for small things, such as grains of rice. My 2 friends counter this by saying that 一粒 can also be used for large objects, such as 一粒榴莲 (one durian - I hope I've got the right characters there).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it correct to say 一粒苹果 and 一粒榴莲? Does anyone know why some people say these phrases? Is 一粒 reserved for small grain-like things?

Thanks!

I always hear only "yi ge" but that's in BJ.

I know it's just a curiousity, but in the grand scheme of things . . . :wink:

I long ago gave up on MW (measure words) :wall , deciding to use the proper ones if I pick them up but deferring active learning of them until I master the other 5000 or so characters/phrases I still need first.

Would there be a book that allows reverse look-up? So if I look under 苹果 it gives me 个 (or 粒)?

I can't imagine there's such as "The Reverse Chinese-English Dictionary of Measure Words" :mrgreen:

It's conceivable that there are / will be Chinese-English Dictionaries for learners that give appropriate measure words for the nouns entries. ( To some extent, the Oxford Starter Chinese Dictionary does this but the dictionary itself is only for beginners.)

It's conceivable that there are / will be Chinese-English Dictionaries for learners that give appropriate measure words for the nouns entries.

It's heard that the BLCU will publish a book like that, maybe next year, when it comes out, I could show you the book here. And here's the information of Chinese-English Dictionary of Measure Words which is available:

http://shop.aaawww.net/mod8/detail.php?gid=322304&userid=7912&catid=493986

I think in this instance Singaporean/Malaysian Mandarin has been influenced by Hokkien where 粒 is the correct measure word for all things that are spherical, no matter what their size, so even one of those big blow-up beach balls takes 粒 as its measure word.

I realised I didn't know how to write " cau1/chau " (in Cantonese for "bunch of", "cluster" for fruits), have searched various dictionaries but still don't know

I just checked a couple of dictionaries here and came up with 揪 in two of them, 抽 in one and 搊 in yet another. The latter is the closest in meaning. 抽 is almost certainly a 代替字.